AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that both my HDTV and external HD converter have DVI/HD connection capabilities.

Is the picture quality that much better with the DVI connection as to where I should run out and buy a cable? I assume this makes it a true "digital" connection, is that right?

Or will I probably not see much difference compared to the component cables I'm using now?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Which tv do you have? I have one of the GWIIIs (non-XBR) and wondered that myself - I've read on the forum that the DVI on the GW is not a purely digital path, so I got an HD tuner with component outputs only (which I'm very happy with).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Different TVs behave differently with DVI. Sometimes DVI will be inferior to component, or roughly comparable, or better. The more 'digital' the TV, the more likely it is to benefit from DVI. DLP sets in particular benefit greatly from DVI. But with other technologies, as squirrely implies, it's hard to know how direct the digital path is. CRT based sets definitely require D to A conversion at some point, though even some of these can benefit from DVI.

The best way to know is either to try each type of connection, or find a published review of your TV where each type of input was tried and read what the reviewer thought.

I'm not affiliated with them, but reasonably-priced high-quality DVI cables can be found at Pacific Custom Cable: http://www.pacificcable.com You want the DVI-D type.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.