AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost 2 years ago I researched my purchased by reading HT magazines (most publications) and this bbs.

It would be interesting to know if any of the mags are taking a stand against the obsolecense of the equipment they touted not so long ago. Are any of them against the new power given to the entertainment industry to regulate what we view, when we view it, and how we view it?

I think this is important for two reasons. First, the mainstream newspapers etc may pick up editorials and articles etc from the audio/videophile mags. Second, it will provide "expert" sources to be used in congressional hearings.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Good question. How much do they even know about these implements of destruction?

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

[This message has been edited by Man E (edited 08-05-2001).]

·
Registered
381 Posts
I agree it would be great if the major home theater publications would take up the cause and become advocates for the HT enthusiasts.

Unfortunately, the editorial content is not what I would call hard hitting. Magazines such as Home Theater try to avoid controversy all expense. Lest they may offend an advertiser. Many of these glossies are more or less buyers guides rather than sources for real news.

You may notice their equipment reviews are for the most part, all positive, lacking much serious criticism. I would love for these publications to take a stand, but they are more concerned with placating sponsors rather than pursuing true HT journalism. I do like reading them to see what $250,000 buys you now days.

Wide Screen Review on the other hand, does seem to have more for an edge to it than the other publications. While not as slick, this might be the most receptive outlet for these issues.

Rich

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The lead time for print versions of the mags is probably measurable in weeks or months so it might be some time before we see anything in print about this from some of them, though Joel Brinkley and Gary Merson have been bitching about this all year.

------------------

HiDefDave

[This message has been edited by David McRoy (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The current Edition of Home Theater touches on this briefly in 2 places. It think the editorial page mentions some things about copy protection. (of course it was written before the DVI thing reared its ugly head again) I think there is also a letter from a reader about it. IIRC both responses were not very in depth and I did not spend much time on them since I can get much better info on the net. I guess I will have to acutally go read the thing now.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would agree. HTM has been very upbeat about DVI/HDCP, 5c, etc. I would go so far as to say they are pandering to the vendors and MPAA. Every time someone writes a letter that says "My TV is going to be obsolete" they reply, no, you're TV will still work. But they gloss over the technical details about how it might only work with a down-converted signal.

Although HTM has become more positive with vendors than they have in the past (I miss Mike from MST3K fame), typically the overall scores and charts are more telling about a product.

What gets me though is that HTM is in THE spot to be to cut through the marketing BS on the issues. They have tons of inside info, but there is little to nothing on (H)DTV happenings, and certainly none of it negative.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.