AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question has been asked before,but either hasnt been answered or I have missed it (sorry if thats the case).My projector, Yamaha lpx500,has a DVI input but does not support HDCP. If I purchased the Bravo or some future player with a DVI/HDCP output would I be unable to use the DVI ? Would this be true across the board or just on some dvds ?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
573 Posts
Dan

I have read responses from some folks who have a Pioneer plasma with a non HDCP DVI port. From reading in the forum it sounds like the non-HDCP DVI port is primarily designed to be used if you want a computer connected display like HTPC. The HDCP compatible DVI is designed to be used with sources like a HD STB or one of the new DVI DVD players like the Bravo that will uprezz a regular commercial copy protected 480i DVD through a HDCP compatible DVI port.

The folks who had the Pioneer plasma could not utilize the DVI port to obtain hi-definition uprezzing on regular commercial copy protected DVDs played by the Bravo. See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=251689

The folks who have the HDCP compatible DVI port can get the Bravo to uprezz to HD via the DVI port. Most regular commercial DVDs are copy protected so you will need a HDCP compatible DVI port to utilize the uprezzing option you are purchasing with the Bravo or the soon-to-be-released Samsung DVD HD-931.

HD-DVD is a whole different animal that will require new DVDs and you can read about HD-DVD here: http://www.dvdsite.org/

Anyway, this is how I understand it. Hope this helps. :)

Rick

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Quote:
If I purchased the Bravo or some future player with a DVI/HDCP output would I be unable to use the DVI ?
Many, many posters here have non-HDCP projectors and have had no problems with 720p DVI output from their Bravo D-1.

-- Cain

·
23,031 Posts
Cain, is it possible that the DVDs they were playing did *not* have

Macrovision copy protection? Somebody else in another thread

mentioned that component outputs worked fine at 720P and 1080i

until they played a protected DVD. I wonder if DVI is working the

same way? No HDCP until a protected DVD. I have no way

of trying.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Cain

I have a direct-view HDTV and don't read the projector forum so please enlighten us further. As per PooperScooper do you mean the Bravo upscales a regular copy protected commercially available DVD to 720p even on a non-HDCP DVI port? How about the component ports? This is an interesting loophole because that is not how I read the Bravo D1 literature at the http://www.vinc.us/ website. This is a nice little feature and should make this unit a darling among projector fans with non-HDCP DVI. And, why do you think there is difficulty with the Pioneer plasma that also has a non-HDCP DVI port?

Rick

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for responding. It appears that the answer is still fairly elusive :). How about an answer from the horses mouth. Can anyone who has a non HDCP compatible projector (or display) with a DVI input and a Bravo D1 please comment on which dvds can or cannot be played through the dvi ?

Also, I use the DVI port on my projector with my HD200 STB with no problems, except of course the HDCP test channel.

Dan

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mintakaX

Can anyone who has a non HDCP compatible projector (or display) with a DVI input and a Bravo D1 please comment on which dvds can or cannot be played through the dvi ?
I played Star Wars Ep. 2, Toy Story, and Avia using a non-HDCP LCD monitor with 480p and 720p DVI. I have not tried any other DVDs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
mintakaX

I ventured into the hi-end digital projector part of the forum and there is a Bravo D1 thread that is approaching 400 posts:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

I read them all (whew! :p). The conclusions I reached based on testimonial is that the Bravo D1 does work for some people who have a non-HDCP compliant DVI port for the projector.

There is also a work-around to get to 720p and 1080i via component but no one thinks the component connections add picture quality to a good 480p progressive scan player. I think consensus is to get the Bravo D1 only if you plan to use DVI.

I still can't find out if any plasma owners are getting the Bravo D1 to work with non-HDCP DVI. The thread I posted above indicates difficulty. The bottom line is that if you get this unit and don't find it works for you, then you can return it for a stocking fee of 10% of the unit or $20. I suppose there will be shipping too but this is still worth a try if you have a projector.

Direct-view persons with HDCP-DVI will have no problems. Plasma owners are not having luck or are not posting yet. HDCP-DVI ports on plasmas are still pretty rare (Fuji?).

So, I suggest you read the 400 posts and growing thread linked to above if you want more information or just order one (V,inc. is out of stock until mid May) and then return it if you can't get it to work. I am going to wait for the reviews on the Sammy HD931 and then make a choice before the end of year or when my heavily-used 3 year old Sammy 709 interlaced player croaks. Good luck. :)

Rick

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ricbayer
I still can't find out if any plasma owners are getting the Bravo D1 to work with non-HDCP DVI. The thread I posted above indicates difficulty.
Rick,

Just to clarify - the issue with the DVI port on the Pioneer 5002 card (used with the 433/503CMX plasmas) isn't related to DHCP or a problem with the Bravo - Pioneer designed these commercial/industrial units with the thought that they'd be driven by PCs (apparently.) So this implimentation of DVI supports 480p and PC resolutions, but not 720p or 1080i, even though the panel can do it via component. Newer boards for the Pios have DVI/HDCP and support 720p & 1080i. I have one on the way.:D

·
Registered
573 Posts
djs

Thanks. It sounds that if one has a DVI port and is curious about the Bravo, then one had better try it before deciding whether the unit is compatible with the display. For some reason, there seems to be more projector owners than plasma owners posting who are finding compatibility with the Bravo D1 and a non-HDCP compatible or non 1080i/720p DVI port. It seems like all the posters with HDCP compatible DVI ports are getting desired compatibility. Hope you get your new HDCP compatible DVI card soon for your Pio plasma and that your card works well. :)

Rick

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ricbayer
djs

Thanks. It sounds that if one has a DVI port and is curious about the Bravo, then one had better try it before deciding whether the unit is compatible with the display. For some reason, there seems to be more projector owners than plasma owners posting who are finding compatibility with the Bravo D1 and a non-HDCP compatible or non 1080i/720p DVI port. It seems like all the posters with HDCP compatible DVI ports are getting desired compatibility. Hope you get your new HDCP compatible DVI card soon for your Pio plasma and that your card works well. :)

Rick
Agreed Ric-

Not so much try the display's DVI port, but confirm with the display's manual or web site FAQs - what video resolutions (if any) it will support, ie. 480i, 480p, 540p/1080i, 720p. Some early DVI display implementations/timings were for data only, such as - 1024 x768, 800 x 600, 640 x 480.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.