AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought, but I think that the new XM digital radios will have the same control over content that we are worrying about now. If the radio equivalant of the MPAA decides to move all popular radio broadcasts to XM, then radio would be in the same boat. They could easily ask/demand a user fee to receive your favorite station. How much would people be willing to pay a month to hear crystal clear Limbaugh or Stearn?

Scarry...

Steve

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
This is exactly what most of the industry wants IMO. Pay per play on everything. Everyone will have a master account somewhere and be billed every time we listen to or watch something

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
In my opinion, this isn't much of a worry. The difference is that almost all popular music is handled under blanket licensing; and that licensing is not controlled by the record labels but rather by the music publishers and their agents (ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC). The result would be that it would be exceedingly difficult to yank the music away from over the air radio stations.

We may eventually see some radio personalities migrate over to satellite radio -- however, over the air stations can always choose to find and nurture new talent to replace these folks. If the big groups that control over the air radio are unwilling or unable to do so, they will eventually fail and the broadcast licenses will be picked up by someone else.

The bottom line is that I really don't see free over the air radio being driven out of business by satellite pay radio.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thomas - A week ago I would never have even had this thought or worry, but after reading about the control over digital media that's coming, I now have some concern. Particularly in regards to well established talk shows or specific music genres. Even if people "Only have to pay $5.00 a month to here Dr. Laura" that's still 5 x 9,000,000. Thats a lot of money! I'm sure that's the way they are going to start off, just a few bucks a month, who cant afford that? They already have two XM satellites above us, those birds are not cheap.

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
does this DVI/DHCP have to do with the actual hdtv or the set top box? im a little confused. also does the DVI/DHCP affect people with tv programming from the cable company too? or just people with satallite?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.