Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all ...

I did the search ... i did the home work .... now i have conflicting information.

??? Can I hook up a Geforce 4 (DUEL DVI) to a HDTV (JVC AV56WP30) using a dvi cable ??? and run greater than 640X480?

the quote i got was that DVI/HDCP is "DVI 2.0" and a computer only outputs DVI "DVI 1.0".

Reading till 2:30 AM last night i kind of thought DVI/HDCP is the same as "DVI-D" with a little something extra added in to keep you from copying it. therefore you can input DVI-D into it and the "CP" (copy protection) wont do anything.

so what do yall think ?

thanks,

[email protected]

·
Registered
360 Posts
Your correct... you can input a DVI 1.0 signal into a DVI 2.0 ( HDCP) input. Should work fine with 480p,720p and 1080i

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
hi,

it should work fine unless your trying to play a copy protected dvd at higher than 720x480p, at which point it may not work so fine.

peter m.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've seen some posts mentioning that some people were unable to get DVI from a PC to work with one of the new Toshiba TV's with DVI. Nothing worked at all from an ATI card, and the screen constantly scrolled with a GeForce. I'd be interested to know if anyone has actually gotten this to work!

Tim

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have my DVI connection working, but I don't have a DVI/HDCP monitor so we're just talking about DVI 1.0. I have an HTPC with an AIW Radeon, a 6" DVI-D single link cable, and a NEC PlasmaSync 42MP3. I originally used the VGA cable with the DVI/VGA adapter supplied with the Radeon, and I noticed that in the dark areas of the desktop (standard blue WinXP background) the pixels were flickering slightly, but you could only notice if you were within a foot of the screen. Since I don't typically view it that close, I wasn't too worried about it. ;) I thought this was just the way the plasma screen operated, but as soon as I hooked up the DVI cable the picture became rock solid; it turns out that the analog signal quality wasn't sufficient for low-lit sources. Also, all the timing and intermittant screen position problems I had encountered when using the VGA connection went away. If you can do DVI, I highly recommend it. My PQ is noticeably better, primarily in the shadow detail.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Ashley from Entech posted his results with a DVI HDTV (JVC, I believe) a while back, you may want to do a search for that thread. He noted that the set reacted differently to the video cards he was using.

DVI is great for LCD/DLP/Plasma, but unnatural for CRT rear projection TV and may not result in the same kind of quality improvements as with the digital fixed pixel displays. It's sole purpose in these sets are to enforce copy-protection, and I would venture to guess that the manufacturers are limiting the allowable resolutions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.