AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the HDMI is supposedly backward compatible (or whatever you want to call it) with DVI, does that mean you can use for example the Samsung DVI player and connect it with a cable that is DVI at one end and HDMI at the other.

Is that how it will work, if not please esplain as Ricky Ricardo would say

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
That's the concept, but I haven't seen any such cables yet marketed. I guess once HDMI equipment ships in quantity, they will magically appear.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have seen a cable that takes an HDMI signal on one end and outputs it as DVI on the other end to a compatible display.

The product is not commercially available (not the cable, the product) and I cannot say any more at this time. But it does appear to work just fine.

Mark

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
For example the Sim2 300extra has a HDMI input. It would be nice to output DVI from a dvd player into that input
Daniel,

Molex makes heads for both specs (and prob. the best ones)- call them, they may make a custom cable (sample) for you, my company just ordered a few through a third party from them. I'm not sure it will be HDMI 1.1 -> DVI-I dual link, which is all the possible options (digital + analog @ full bandwidth) on the DVI end (pins/functionality) but it will be a generally compatible derivative for sure- just don't expect anything greater than 17 meters!! which is, of course, quite an accomplishment for DVI, and not such a great accomplishemnt for HDMI.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Does the Sim2 300 extra not have a DVI input? And why put an HDMI input on the projector? HDMI is video and audio. Does the Sim2 even have a speaker in it? They should have just had a DVI input and had a HDMI->DVI adapter shipped with it or available later..

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
My understanding is that many of the top DVD player manufacturers will soon be releasing HDMI output DVD players, skipping DVI output entirely.

Regarding the Sim2 products I do not believe the 300Extra has HDMI, only the 300Link.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Pioneer is about to release two players with both DVI and HDMI. (To match their HDMI Plasmas.)

HDMI cables can run at least 20 m.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Cain,

You can go to molex.com, select search by product name, scroll down and select HDMI. Once you have that page up you can select datasheet on the left side of the screen to get the lenghts and part numbers for conversion cables.

·
Registered
444 Posts
But Molex claims their longest cable is 5m ... also, they don't look like they normally sell to the public. In fact, when I asked them about this they said that there would be signal loss after 5m.

When will more sites like bettercables, lcom, etc. start selling these cables???

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Alex, are you saying we are going to get 25m from HDMI-HDMI cables?
Rogo,

This is all new too me as well, but I wouldn't be surprised from what I've recently heard. I'm not the cable guy at work (just use a lot of them :D) but I'm told the longish runs (20m+) will standardize at the end of next year sometime, hopefully after spec 2 comes out for HDMI. p.s., I'm hoping to get a copy of the complete spec, hopefully soon. We are looking for SDI-Coax type of functionality, so far no one said "that's impossible." Hopefully, NEC may be working on an HDMI extended cable compensation akin to their great CableComp technology which allows RGB (vga/hd15) to go 330'.

The rumors of extra power on a PCI Express x16 port/cards also looks like something to look forward to (if true), given that power can mitigate some inherent Dispersion problems encountered on tdm type traffic on long copper runs.

gkfisher,

Well, I guess Molex wont do the integration for you, sorry to hear that. I guess the last thing you can do right now is email them and ask for a list of cable integrators they recommend; there's 1/2 dozen good ones on the east coast I understand, and hopefully one of those will make one for you. The firm we work with is interested in commercial quantities (1000+) and thus we get samples of new stuff sometimes.

We did make 15.24 meter single link DVI-I-DVI-I (!!!) cables that are absolutely solid performers- an impossibility until molex DVI heads where refined (the cable is thick though, about 2x what a VGA cable typically is). We also have a sample hybrid HDMI-DVI on order, I'll update on this thread and let everyone know how they perform (hopefully sans sparkies ;) )when we get them and test them a bit.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I looked al over that Molex site and could not find anything that was HDMI. I even did a search for the word HDMI and it came back empty.

Has someone actually seen a DVI-HDMI cable?? I only need it to be about 1 meter long.

-- Cain

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cain
I looked al over that Molex site and could not find anything that was HDMI. I even did a search for the word HDMI and it came back empty.

Has someone actually seen a DVI-HDMI cable?? I only need it to be about 1 meter long.

-- Cain
Look for 59205HDMI
http://www.molex.com/cgi-bin/bv/mole...cehedffgdfmk.0

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Hi Jim,

Thank you for the link, but it just took me to the front News page.

I did a search for that part number you referenced: 59205HDMI and it said no matches.

Sheesh are they hiding the cable :D ??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.