AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Cablevision service in New Jersey, a Scientific Atlanta 4200 HD box, a Denon AVR-4306 receiver and a Mitsubishi HC5000 projector. I have DVI out of SciAtl box to HDMI into the 4306, then HDMI from 4306 to HDMI into the projector. This worked great for the first 5 weeks of the setup!!! Then, a couple of nights ago, I got a flashing DVI/HDMI Copy Protection message (audio was still working). Called Cablevision - many customers reported issue - they must have flashed software to boxes. Workaround is to use component since "that is what Cablevision supports" - pretty bogus response and company position! Picture quality has not suffered, but I do notice some pixellation watching sports via component. With DVI/HDMI there was none and I suspect it was because there was no compression/decompression going on. Is anybody able to figure out a solution? Seems like going component after DVI/HDMI was working well is a step backward.

· Registered
1,519 Posts
hoping a manufacturer sees this.

i see alot of people on AVS that have handshake issues from components that are HDCP compliant. So exactly why are there so many issues?

· Premium Member
6,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNewYears /forum/post/0

I do notice some pixellation watching sports via component. With DVI/HDMI there was none and I suspect it was because there was no compression/decompression going on.

Just in passing, I don't believe that the visual symptoms of picture degradation you're describing can be attributed to what would be described as "compression/decompression going on". In all honesty, I think it's more the normal expected difference from one sporting event to another based on factors such as HD cameras, encoders being used, channel/network you're watching, importance of the event itself, etc. These would affect overall broadcast and picture quality, including likelihood of blocking or pixelization resulting from motion.

What happens in the STB/DVR when putting out its component video version of what goes out "digital direct" via DVI/HDMI is the result of digital-to-analog conversion, not compression/decompression. What is put out on component video is simply the analog version of the digital datastream, fed to your projector using the RGB analog method. There is no further compression of the source content that takes place at this step. Once digital content (however it was produced) is delivered to your STB/DVR that's what is worked with.

And there it is dealt with by your projector as best as it can... including being converted back to digital for actual display. But there is no decompression taking place in your display device, either from its analog or digital inputs. What it's being sent by the STB/DVR is the fully decoded and decompressed datastream, either in digital form (gigabytes per second) or in analog component video form.

So anything you're possibly seeing in the way of slightly inferior picture is due to the results of the D/A-conversion taking place in the STB/DVR, and then the reverse A/D-conversion in your [fixed-pixel] HDTV projector. And of course none of this happens in straight digital passthrough from source to display using DVRI/HDMI... so the picture is likely a bit superior.

But it's not because of eliminating compression/decompression. Compression/encoding (and possibly re-compression by the carrier) occurs at the broadcaster/network/carrier end, and once it's done it's done. Your STB/DVR receives it that way (in its digital MPEG-2/4 form) and decodes/decompresses it. That decoded/decompressed digital stream (matching how it came from the broadcaster or network or carrier) is then either sent directly to your HDTV (via DVI/HDMI) or converted to analog for component video output.

So the poor picture quality of high-speed motion (like sports) would be caused by either the broadcaster or network or carrier, if the encoders can't keep up with the requirements of the content and either don't give it enough bitrate to handle the needs of the motion or simply "max out the hardware capabilities". You might be watching something one day that looks good, and something different on another day that doesn't... even with the a DVI/HDMI connection.

But I assure you it's not because of a component video connection that you're seeing pixelization and blocking on high-speed motion or common sports coverage (which, of course, is mostly motion).

· Registered
923 Posts
I agree that it's unlikely the change from DVI to component. However it very well may be a signal level issue from the cable provider. On the cable box, hold down the button in the center of the channel up/down, volume up/down for a few seconds. I light on the front of the cable box will begin to flash (email light on 3250HD, 8300HB boxes). Now push the info button and you will see a service menu screen with a bunch of data. There are like 15-20 pages of data available. Page up/down will scroll thru them. Look for any data that's in orange or red. This mean it's (orange borderline, red bad levels)out of normal range. If so, you can: A. Attempt to fix it yourself, B: call the cable company to troubleshoot your cable.

Hope this helps, Eddie

· Registered
269 Posts
One way to further isolate the failure is to connect the STB directly to the display. If this works, then it is quite possible the STB does not support the HDCP repeater function. We would welcome any postings that can detail this issue, including:

- Brand of the STB and cable provider

- STB firmware version that fails (and version that worked if you have it)

- Brand and model number of all the other HDMI devices being connected (AVR, TV, etc)

- Approximate date when issue began to occur

- Description of whether other sources devices (such as a DVD player) work, and whether the STB exhibits the same behavior when interfaced directly to the display

For this original posting, the version of the firmware is the only missing piece of useful data that was not already listed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.