AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone can shed some light on my situation... Recently I had a HTPC built with a PNY GeForce 7900 graphics card. The card does DVI out as well as component using a widget that's included. At any rate, I purchased a DVI-HDMI cable and proceeded to hook the computer up to my Sony KDF-E60A20 television set. To my disappointment it looked nothing short of terrible, I tried using 720p and 1080i (which flickered badly) as well as trying every conceivable configuration and adjustment in the card's settings. Noting looked good, in particular it appears that I'm getting no color depth, if I view a blue gradient I can see distinct banding even though my card was set to true color, 32 bit. I even went so far as to hookup an lcd monitor from my pc, it looked fine. I then tried hooking up the television using the component output of the graphics card. Text is still a bit hard to read but overall things looked considerably better using a component connection. From what I've read this makes no sense at all, hdmi is supposed to be superior to component, right? Although I didn't see it myself a friend who actually put the htpc together for me tested it on his LG 32" lcd hdtv and said it looked fine using the dvi-hdmi cable. What I'm asking if someone knows is if this is normal and if so is there any work-around or solution. I see there are now cards with hdmi out being produced, might this improve the situation or would that be the same as using the dvi output with a hdmi to dvi cable?

Thanks for any help, I can gladly produce photographs of my screen if it'd be of any help.

Rob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I've not gotten any more info on it. I'm still using the component input on the tv for my htpc, it looks pretty good, very good with movies but as I said, text is hard to read. All around I love the tv otherwise so it's a minor complaint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.