AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forums here for an answer as well as google so I hope someone here can offer suggestions.

I have a Westinghouse L1975NW which works fine on the VGA input but not on the DVI input-the monitor indicates "No Signal" and the screen is blank. My computer is a Gigabyte MB with VGA/DVI/HDMI out. If I hook an Olevia TV with DVI input to the PC, it works fine but not on the L1975NW. I have tried resetting the monitor to defaults to no avail. I even tried reading the monitor's EDID to see if that would help but I don't know what the heck I'm reading.

This monitor did work at one time with this MB on DVI so I don't know what's changed and I'm out of ideas. It may be truly defective. I need it to work on DVI but, before I consign it to the landfill, I wanted to give it one last try.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What resoution are you trying to send over DVI to the monitor? Is it the same resolution that works over VGA?

Its native resolution which is 1440 x 900 which is the same resolution as the VGA input. When I attached the computer to the Olevia, it downgraded the output accordingly which is 1280 x 720.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Csn you provide a link to the user's guide for your monitor?

Sure... http://www.westinghousedigital.com/p...ser_Manual.pdf

Are you trying to run 2 displays concurently?

Not in the final configuration-I only want to run DVI. I just ran a two monitor test to see if the DVI out on my MB worked. And it does when I have another monitor connected to the DVI output with the L1975 connected to the VGA out.

If yes how are they configured?

They were configured as above but, ultimately, I want the L1975 to be the only monitor attached and it will be using the DVI connection.

One of the frustrating problems I have is that the OSD doesn't work unless I am providing the monitor with a "valid" signal. In other words, no display-no OSD.

Thanks, again.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
When both displays are connected are they set up for Clone mode or for Extended desktop mode? What are their resolution settings and whiich display is set at the primary display?

With only the DVI cable connected did you use the Input Select option described on page 14 of the menu to select digital instead of analog?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's what I did...

PC-->VGA-->L1975: works

PC-->DVI-->L1975: doesn't work

PC-->VGA-->L1975: works

|-->DVI-->Olevia (works in clone mode, didn't try extended desktop)

PC-->VGA-->Olevia: works

|-->DVI-->L1975: doesn't work

I've tried setting the display type to digital but, there's an issue with that. I cannot access the OSD unless there is something being displayed on the screen so I have to run it in VGA mode to set it to digital. After I do that, I switch inputs to DVI and it still doesn't work even if I power cycle it. Graphics Properties is indicating that there is a digital display attached and it knows the resolution but, it probably got that from the EDID. I'm just wondering if all this protection like HDCP might be interfering with it since it works on the Olevia which supports HDCP but, I'm not sure my monitor does. Is there any way to check this?

I guess I'm grasping at straws but, I'm out of ideas.

Many thanks for your help.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Everything indicates that you have a failed DVI connector on the monitor. This is not unusual despecialy on older DVI connectors which did not handle being Hot plugged well if at all.

Why do you need the monitor to work over DVI instead of over VGA? There may another solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I need the clarity that DVI affords. The characters are more fuzzy using VGA as opposed to DVI. This was not a very expensive monitor so maybe I should just replace it and donate this one since it still works on VGA. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
On my 22" LCD monitor there is absolutly no difference between the clarity of VGA and DVI inputs set at 1680x1050 resoluiton which it it's native resolution. I even used a magnifying glass and small text fonts to confirm that they were exactly the same in resolution detail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.