AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I an idiot? I have the DVI cable hooked up, and I cannot get any picture on Video 7. Do I have to do something else, or do I have a defective cable?

(Please don't answer the first question; just the second.) ;)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSparty
I have the DVI cable hooked up, and I cannot get any picture on Video 7. Do I have to do something else, or do I have a defective cable?
Yes, hook the other end of the cable into something w/DVI output :D

Just kiddin, what are you trying to connect to your tv?

Jordan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan420
Yes, hook the other end of the cable into something w/DVI output :D

Just kiddin, what are you trying to connect to your tv?

Jordan
I'm trying to connect my HD cable box. I can't imagine that I'm doing anything wrong. I just can't seem to get a picture. It's not a huge deal because I have it hooked up with the component cables, but I've heard DVI is the way to go.

·
** Man of Leisure **
26,877 Posts
What type of set top box are you using? There could be a switch to output to Component Video of DVI. For example, I have a Sony Sat HD200, and there is a slider switch. Set it one way and it outputs the signal to the component video cable and turns off DVI. Set it the other way, and DVI is active. Check your manual.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I just had digital cable (Comcast) and a HDTV box - a Motorola DCT5100 - installed this past week. In my case I was able to get a very clear picture using the box's DVI output to a 13 month-old, 32 inch Sony plasma set that we use in the bedroom. It comes through as Video 3 on this TV. I wanted to use the lone set of component inputs for our DVD player, which is why I tried the DVI cable for the cable box. DVD comes through as Video 4. I am now waiting for the 70XBR, and haven't decided whether I will order another cable box for this set - depends on what it will pull in from my location OTA.

I'm certainly no expert, but have you called your cable company to make sure the DVI output is enabled on your box? I downloaded an owner's manual for my box, and there are several outputs that are labeled "not enabled - reserved for future use" or words to that effect.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Leearo2000GT
I had the same problem. Then to come out the cable company (comcast) did not have support on the cable box for the DVI output yet. They said they would in the spring. Bunch of asshats.
I'm Comcast as well. Maybe I'm out of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.