AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sony XBR800 has a DVI/HDTV input port, as I believe every Sony XBR TV has. My question is, does anyone know what type of DVI input it is? I have read there are 3 types, DVI-A, DVI-D and DVI-I. If I was looking for a DVI cable to connect this to a STB with DVI output what cable would I purchase?

I called Sony support about this and they had no idea (really!) what I was talking about, but suggested I get a universal cable and try it out! Somehow, they did not convince me. Furthermore, they told me, they do not sell that particular cable.

Any help is appreciated...thanks

Mr. Mayor

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a Samsung T165 and wanted to try DVI, thinking the picture quality might be better. I called Sony and got the same song and dance as you regarding the cable.

I recently traded up to the Sony HD200 which comes with a DVI cable. The Sony tuner does lock and hold over-the-air stations a little better but I can see absolutely no difference in picture quality between DVI and component.

If you're hell bent on DVI the Sony-supplied cable says "E74020-C ...... STYLE 20276 ...... DVI DIGITAL SINGLE LINK MOLEX" on it. It's my understanding there are single and double link types. Hope this helps.

Bruce

·
Registered
186 Posts
The connector is DVI-D. If you're coming from a ce device (such as an stb), odds are the device also has a DVI-D port, but obviously you should just look at the device to make sure.

If you just don't know what the connectors look like, you can download the DVI 1.0 spec from the Digital Display Working Group . The connectors are diagrammed on pages 45 and 46. (DVI-A is not actually in the DVI specification.) Basically, DVI-I has cross whereas DVI-D has a horizontal plate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just purchased a DVI cable to use with my KV-40XBR800 and my HTPC. If you look at the connector, it is a DVI-D or dual connector on the TV, and probably a dual on your STB as well. You can tell if it's single because it will be missing half of the pins.

I also found a very good place to buy DVI cables online, Pacific Cables .

They also have a very good " DVI Tutorial " which explains the differences between single and dual. The main difference is the bandwidth; from what I understand, a single type cable couldn't carry enough bandwidth for HD material.

It was only $18.00 for a 2 meter DVI-D cable, or $19.00 for a 3 meter cable. The DVI specification allows for cable lengths up to 5 meters.

What's really dissapointing is that despite DirecTV's mandate that all new HD STBs have DVI connectors with HDCP; _none_ of the electronics stores seem to carry them. I tried Circuit City, Best Buy, and CompUSA. What a joke. I couldn't even find one salesperson that knew what the hell a DVI connector was. I had to try to explain it to them "it's a digital visual interface".

This is only going to get worse as more different types of video signals and connectors proliferate the market. These major chain electronic stores will hopefully realize that you can't hire people off the street and pay them $8 an hour if you want them to be able to provide any decent level of customer service. Hell, if you are going to hire entry level workers, at least give them a 4 hour class on "what is HDTV" or something like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
The main difference is the bandwidth; from what I understand, a single type cable couldn't carry enough bandwidth for HD material.
illumin8 - See my post above. Sony supplies a single link cable, and it works just fine between my Sony SAT-HD200 and KV36XBR800 at both 720p and 1080i. A week or two ago someone on this forum posted that they purchased a dual link cable thinking if single is good then dual must be better. They reported that it didn't work. Let us know if yours does.

Bruce

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Sony supplies a single link cable, and it works just fine between my Sony SAT-HD200 and KV36XBR800 at both 720p and 1080i. A week or two ago someone on this forum posted that they purchased a dual link cable thinking if single is good then dual must be better. They reported that it didn't work. Let us know if yours does.
Bruce,

You will only get this single link cable if you buy the SAT HD200, correct? I called Sony, as stated before, and they had no clue about DVI, let alone a DVI cable! I don't mean to bash their support, but I really expected more from Sony. I wont say anything about the local chain B&M stores.

illumin8 and all others

Cheers for the posts. Thats what I was looking for.

Mr. Mayor

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
As far as the single versus dual link is concerned.

VERY VERY few of the HIGHEST of resolution displays utilize dual link transmission. Single link will be thinner and will easily handle all HD resolutions now and MANY MANY years to come.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
57 Posts
Guys, I purchased a 2 meter DVI-D cable and it works great with my HTPC and my KV-40XBR800. According to the DVI tutorial , this is the difference:

1) What is the difference between Dual Link and Single Link?

Dual link enables a higher resolution (1920 X 1080) and more channels. You can view 2 displays simultaneously.

When I first read this I thought this meant that you would need a dual cable to display 1080i material, but after finding out that the SAT-200 only includes a single cable, a light bulb came on in my head and I realized that 1080i is really only using the same bandwidth as 1920x540p, so it doesn't require the dual bandwidth.

Bottom line is, purchase whichever one you want and it will work with your television.

There is also a picture of the connectors on that site, so if you want to physically compare the connectors (I did before I purchased it) between your STB and your TV, go right ahead.

Also, the SAT-200 does come with a cable, however other third party STBs may or may not.

Regards,

Luke

·
Registered
57 Posts
One more thing I just thought of... If you had a TV that could display 1080p, you'd need a dual cable :)

I doubt we'll see that standard for quite some time.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
illumin8,

The full bandwidth of single-link TDMS is a 165MHz Dot Clock. Any resolution less than that is within the single link specification.

You can barely squeeze 1080p at 60Hz on a single link with minimal overhead of CRT (about 30%). But for digital displays, 5% overhead is all that is needed and you can actually get 1080p at up to 75Hz on a single link channel.

I wouldn't full with a dual link cable at the point. Very pricey and very little product to go with it.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
57 Posts
Actually, I don't think $18.00 is that pricey. I purchased the dual link cable just because I looked at the connectors on my ATI Radeon card and my TV and it had the extra pin holes.

I realize now that I could have just as easily gone with the single cable, but it works, so what the hell.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Has anybody used the component video cables from Pacific Cable? They're dirt cheap. Just curious if they're low quality stuff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought the 5meter DVI-I cable from them, the quality of the cable is great, works with my GeForce4200 and 34xbr800.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ualev
I bought the 5meter DVI-I cable from them, the quality of the cable is great, works with my GeForce4200 and 34xbr800.
Glad to hear that this combination works. I'm curious about your settings though. I assume you're using powerstrip...but what are your display settings - resolution,, timings, etc.

Thanks for the info. I'm about to buy the 34XBR800 and want to put together a very basic HTPC for use as an MP3 server and occasional gaming machine (no DVD or HDTV through it yet). But I'm still abit clueless about hooking it up to a tv.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do not use powerstrip. I just use 848x480 as my resolution (highest available from Detonator Driver) 34xbr800 converts it to 1920x1080i (Service Module shows that). It is OK for watching movies but for Games and other apps, overscan makes them impossible to use them.

Powerstrip did not help me. I would guess games will not recognize the powerstrips resolutions and set their own. There was a thread that is talking about powerstrip settings for GeForce 3 cards, but I do not know if they would work with GeForce 4.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ualev
I do not use powerstrip. I just use 848x480 as my resolution (highest available from Detonator Driver) 34xbr800 converts it to 1920x1080i (Service Module shows that). It is OK for watching movies but for Games and other apps, overscan makes them impossible to use them.

Powerstrip did not help me. I would guess games will not recognize the powerstrips resolutions and set their own. There was a thread that is talking about powerstrip settings for GeForce 3 cards, but I do not know if they would work with GeForce 4.
Thanks for the reply. Guess I'm back to square one. Maybe an ATI card???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.