Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I am new to this and I have been scratching my head trying figure out which TV to buy. i.e. Sony 42 Grand Wega RPTV, Samsung DLP. I came across a good deal on a Zenith 52" D52WLCD. The limited reviews I have been able to find say it is a great TV. The problem is, it does not have "DVI" input. How important is this? Is there a degradation in the signal without it? Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Interested
HI,

I am new to this and I have been scratching my head trying figure out which TV to buy. i.e. Sony 42 Grand Wega RPTV, Samsung DLP. I came across a good deal on a Zenith 52" D52WLCD. The limited reviews I have been able to find say it is a great TV. The problem is, it does not have "DVI" input. How important is this? Is there a degradation in the signal without it? Any help would be appreciated.

Mark
I'd recommend you do a search on any tv make/model you are interested in. There is a lot of interesting reading here on Sony RProj LCDs.

DVI is the next to latest generation of video hookup. It provides uncompressed component video. There's debate as to whether is is visibly "better" than component video.

I would buy the best set you can afford (best picture and sound if that is important), make sure you have enough high quality i/o ports (component or DVI or the more recent HDMI (?) ).

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Interested:

Welcome to AVS Forum! Lots of stuff here to help you decide.

DVI or its successor HDMI are quite important for image quality reasons on new purchases although the benefit is different for different display technologies (perhaps this is what AcuraCL was referring to). I recommend you go read the October issue (I think) of Widescreen Review on the Bravo D1. In that article there is a very cogent discussion of the relative merits of DVI for different display technologies. In essence, DVI and HDMI (which carries both the video singal and audio signal - DVI only carries the video) enable you to avoid digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital conversions. It is in these conversions that much of the compromises to picture quality occur, so avoiding them makes a difference.

I have a fixed pixel display (fixed pixel = DLP, LCD, plasma, LCOS) and they benefit the most from upscaling, DVI-output devices. I have a DVI output digital cable set-top-box and a DVI output DVD player and the improvement in picture quality throught his connection over component is not debatable at all - the advantage is crystal clear (pun intended :D).

So, yes, you want DVI and/or HDMI. Read a lot and figure out what your needs/desires are so you can settle on a particular display technology (they ALL have advantages and disadvantages - there is no "best" overall). Then you can focus in on specific questions you have and the folks here will have all kinds of advice.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for help guys, I appreciate it!

However it might be too late. I ordered the Zenith from Amazon because price was so good. However, when I ordered it, Amazon estimated a shipping date of March1 to March 14. I said fine this will give me time to do more research and if I am not satisfied with the Zenith product, I would cancel before it was shipped. Well.....I got an email this AM from Amazon saying my unit was shipped last night. Hopefully I wont be too disappointed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.