AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I'm looking into getting an RPTV, and was pleased with the PQ I was seeing in the stores. Even with a Sammy DLP next to the sets, I thought the PQ looked good, and the prices were certainly more affordable. I figure spending some $$ on calibration will be worth it.

Anyway, I see that many of these sets have DVI inputs starting to show up, and I'm thinking "that's nice if the RPTV has a nice scaler." The set will still need to do D/A conversion. Most of these sets upscale to 1080i anyway, so I would assume that it would be an advantage to let the set do all the conversion, and tell the DVI-equipped DVD player to just hand the signal over in digital mode. Does this make sense?

Otherwise, it seems to me that we don't really gain anything from these sets having DVI for an input. Wouldn't a basic RGB connection make more sense?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a web page that has an example of what I'm talking about. This isnt the model I'm interested in, just an example...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03006

Hmmm, now that I think about it, this might just be a mistake on BB's part in the advertising....

·
Registered
748 Posts
DVI makes a big difference. Especially if you're feeding the set it's native resolution. I did back to back comparisons of a HTPC, the samsung HD-931 DVI DVD player and a progressive scan JVC component player on my Hitachi 57xwx20b.

HTPC: The best of the bunch currently. Better than the sammy (or the bravo which I tried later) and way better than the JVC. I'm very much looking forward to someone making a DVI DVD player that looks as good as my PC and has a good remote.

Samsung: Better than the bravo after some minor tweaking (mainly sharpness being too high on the sammy and compensating in the set). Way better than the JVC.

JVC: Looks good but there are obvious problems that mostly show up in dark scenes with a lot of flesh tones. A panasonic rp82 was a little bit better but not by a lot. Overall the image is just not as clean or sharp. There's some obvious signal degredation (noise) in the picture that is simply not there with a DVI source.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dammit !

As long as there is a noticable difference, I don't mind upgrading to a DVI equipped DvD player (HTPC is just too much hassle IMO). I'm hoping that more DVI based players come out between now and January, when I'm planning to buy.

As a side note - I am having a bad experience with the Sony SACD/DVD player I bought about 18 months ago. Very bad in tracking dirty or firgerprited toddler discs. My father had the same issues with his Sony player without SACD which seemed to have the same internals.

Sorry, dont have my model number with me but there ya go....

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm not the person to talk to about anything Sony related. They've burned me enough times that I don't buy their products anymore (long story).

Of the DVI players out there right now, the Sammy is better for RPTV's in my opinion. For people with projectors that won't let them adjust the sharpness with a DVI source, the Sammy wouldn't be a good choice. It's sharp to the point of obvious grain. Dropping the sharpness by about 15% on the set will compensate for it though. I hated the remote with the Sammy as well which is why I'm still waiting for a better player. Shouldn't be long now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.