AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the FAQ, but still have a question about DVI. A friend told me I will not get a better picture out of my Plasma if I go with A DVI signal. As I understand it there are not any DVD players that currently offer this. His suggestion was to attach a pc with a dvd player and DVI card to attach to my 503CMX. Will the picture be that much better if I go this route or would a regular DVD player using the componet out be just as good? Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Check out the HTPC forum. By using the PC with PowerStrip as a video scaler you can match the output exactly to the 503CMX and get the best possible picture. Some people report better PQ than some high-$ DVD hardware. This is what I am planning to do.

bob

·
Registered
996 Posts
I use a PC -> DVI -> 5002 -> 503cmx and it looks awsome. I have not needed to use powerstrip or a video scaler.

DVI will get you the best picture possible. I don't know what your friend is talking about.

At this point you will need to use an HTPC with a DVI card.

What reasoning does your friend say that DVI is not superior?

-Jym-

·
Registered
897 Posts
Thats right. DVI (and SDI) are the only true digital video connections in the consumer market, if you don't count things like Firewire. Component is actually an analog signal. Try the DVI... thats the best way to go.

Bob

·
Registered
897 Posts
HTPC= Home Theater PC. Its a computer optimized for use with a theater system. May have a case to match components, a high-performance video card, big storage, and software to make DVD's and other sources look better. HTPC's can be setup with a HDTV card to record off-air transport streams right to the harddrive. Its the way to go, especially if you have a plasma, which has a resolution that is not native to stand-alone hardware. The computer can feed a signal that exactly matches your plasma's native resolution.

bob

·
Registered
48 Posts
I plan on going this route when my 433cmx arrives this week (I hope!!!). One thing I am considering is not putting the PC within 10' , the max length of a DVI cable. I may be about 35' away to make the room more aesthetically pleasing.

Has anybody used a 15 pin to 5 BNC break out and then run a 5 conductor BNC cable.

also do you think it is better to stay with 15 pin connector on both ends or break out to BNC.

How does this compare to DVI.

.....................................................can't wait!!!

John

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Are any artifacts visible on the 503CMX when fed native rate by DVI input? :confused:

The unit I was able to view in a shop window was plagued with artifacts, but it wasn't using a full digital path. This annoyed me more than black level.

TIA.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Brett:

The Pioneer 50†panels up convert input signals to 70hz. For fixed rate devices, such as the NRS at 60hz, this causes image tearing, especially noticeable in camera pans with movie-based material.

I haven’t used an HTPC or DVI, but know that Powerstrip can be used to get 1280 x 768 at 70hz. This should mean the tearing problem won’t be present with an HTPC. I also understand that the Leeza scaler can be set to 72hz and that it produces acceptable results.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I use an SDI equipped RP91 DVD player with the Leeza set to 72 Hz. and the Pio 503CMX with 5002 card and DVI inputing from the Leeza at the display's native rate.

Results are IMO outstanding.

If you can go this way, it really makes the Pio an excellent choice as a display.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Jim & Jnug,

Thanks for the info. With an HTPC getting the proper native rate and refresh shouldn't be too tough. Glad to know that it then reveals as good an image as your source and scaler will deliver. :cool:

So aside from the perceived contrast due to black levels, this configuration rocks! :)

One last thing, I've read reviews about a green tinge to colors, is that irrelevant with a Colorfacts calibrated display and native rate input? TIA.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had Cliff Plavin calibrate my display. I can not comment on the result when not employing the services of a professional calibrator other than to say that at the very least, they seem to be the only folks equipped to deal with gray scale.

I can tell you that I am truly satisfied with Cliff's work.

It sounds like you are aiming at what should turn out to be a terrific system. I would consider pro calibration once you have some hours on the display.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Brett:

I had no problems with green tinge before or after calibration, but I have read other comments about it. I watch S-Video and composite sources through the NRS on input 1 and HD/SD satellite through component on input 2.

I’ve been through one calibration effort with ColorFacts and the results were quite good. The calibration was done only for input 1, as I don’t have the ability to generate test patterns for component on input 2. I received some invaluable feedback from pro’s like Cliff Plavin and found out I didn’t do everything quite right, so will be repeating it when I get the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.