AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a big and beautiful Sony KV-40XBR800. It handles resolutions up to 1080i and has a lot of inputs, though only two are relevant to this post. There's a component input that handles 480, 720, and 1080i and can go fullscreen on this 4:3 beast, and there's a DVI port that handles only 1080i and only in widescreen mode. There are plenty of 4:3 things I want to watch so the fullscreen factor is significant. Furthermore, when using the DVI port, there is significant overscan (>10%) which feels like pixel theft.

These factors combined, it seems like I should get a receiver with component out and lots of component inputs. Is there any reason why I would want DVI? The DVI connection is allegedly HDCP compatible with HDMI. How much will that matter?

·
Registered
380 Posts
With a 40" CRT display I would say that it would not matter a great deal.

If I was in the same situation, the component connection option would win, hands down. Losing 4:3 doesn't sound like a big deal, but I have countless sets of DVD on television that would end up either horribly stretched or unplayable.

Quality wise, I don't think there will be a noticeable difference between 1080i DVI and 1080i component.

Finally, any receiver you buy will have switching capabilities for at least two sets of component inputs > component output as well as HDMI for future upgrades. You would be hard pressed to find a common brand consumer electronics receiver that doesn't have HDMI these days.

·
Blues In Thirds
2,522 Posts
For a 40 inch TV, I would agree. DVI / HDMI is great but I don't think you'll see that much difference at that size. I'd stick with component and bypass the HDCP hassle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts