AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony KV-32HS500 has both inputs, what would be the best way to connect. I am currently having problems resizing my desktop connected with the DVI input, it underscans and Im unable to fix with powerstrip. Would I have better luck using a component connection? Please let me know what u guys think I have a short time to return this $100 dvi cable, then I could purchase a vga to component converter with that cash. But if its just going to get the same results Ill just stay with the DVI hookup.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Can you adjust the overscan on the TV itself, instead? I have the Sony XBR800. It's user adjustments are minimal. But the service mode (accessed by using special button combinations on the remote) allows alot more adjustment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for the advice I will have to look for this option. Would it be in the main menu settings or somewhere on the TV itself?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The service menu is probably accessed through the remote using a special combination of buttons. The functions for my TV probably wouldn't be the same as yours though. (Wouldn't want to take a chance on that.)

To get at them, you'll probably need to find the service manual for your model on Sony's site. You might run a search in the AVS Display Devices forum to see if anyone else with your model has posted a link or some tips on this.

·
Registered
114 Posts
if u can stick with DVI as I have both input to my TV (well may not be fair comparison as I have the Samsung progressive-DVD player in via component and have my HTPC in via DVI). The DVI just seems to be sharper and more precise colors but could be that my HTPC is superior to the stand-alone player. So are u getting underscan or overscan? I find that powerstrip 3.3 does a good job of fixing it usually.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the resolution set at 640*480 I get a half inch underscan. If I set it on 720*480 I get a half inch overscan.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I believe on Sony Projectors, like the WS500 series, the DVI/Video 7 is programmed out of box to have higher bandwidth etc than component in Vid 5/6. (looks better to consumer on DVI so happy they have it. Also DVI less likely to have noise that maybe cheap component cables might have...)

Component inputs could be tweaked via service mode so component should/could be closer to DVI performance.

Size can be reprogrammed on both... It adjusts the size of final CRT output, not the inputs.

Would assume similar would apply to your set... If you're up to it, recommend getting a Service Manual...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xxx73
With the resolution set at 640*480 I get a half inch underscan. If I set it on 720*480 I get a half inch overscan.
Thats actually fairly normal but if you use Powerstrip and do some manual adjustments u can cut that overscan/underscan by about another 50%. Also, if you have a 16x9 TV i find 848x480 to be the best overall resolution.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I edit settings in the service mode are there ways to get it back to factory default. In my manual they list a key combination on the remote to restore factory defaults, would this work? Can anyone get 800*600 working I really need this resolution for some games to function. I guess my TV is what u guys call 4:3 and is a single tube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.