AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know trhis probably isn't the right forum but this forum gets more views. I have my Mits 55413 hooked up to Comcast HD with a Motorola 6200 and very good componet cables. The picture is outstanding. Comcast has just informed me that the DVI port on the 6200 has been enabled. Am I going to see a huge difference in HD quality if I dump the component cables and go with a DVI hookup? Cost is a consideration since my expensive component cables become clotheslines if I replace them with the DVI cable.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You can buy a good DVI cable on the web for about $15 + shipping (try newegg.com). Then try it and see which you prefer. Your expensive component cables are a sunk cost, so they are not the issue.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Just stick with the component cables! Really you won't be able to tell the difference. If you are getting a good signal through the components then you are not going to noticeably improve it through the DVI. Heck it is not like you are increasing resolution you are just trying to eliminate the digital to analog conversion and noise.

If anyone has actually seen a difference with DVI please tell us about it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
As I have stated before...on my Samsung 61" DLP, High Def through component is stunningly beautiful. My HD box does not have DVI for me to experiment with. However, I do use DVI for DVD viewing which is extremely good also. But, HD is better even though it is through component. I cannot imagine HD being any better through DVI...at least not to the naked eye. Of course some type of light equipment might say otherwise, but I doubt that you will see much if any difference.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
foowigs:

I have a Pace 550 digital cable STB that outputs via DVI to my DLP RPTV and the difference is quite profound. However, the advantage of DVI is different for different display technologies. I suggest you look at the Oct (I think) Widescreen Review article on the Bravo D1 DVI-output DVD player. In that article there is a very cogent description of the relative merits of DVI for different display technologies.

I doubt that you will see a night/day improvement on your display for HD. However, you will see an improvement for both analog and digital channels and for DVDs (although this is a different issue). Second, there was a major convenience provided by the Pace 550 when it came to switching between analog and HD channels. On my SA 3100 I would have to change inputs on my DLP to get the best PQ for analog channels; with the Pace, I don't have to switch. Especially for my wife, this is a MAJOR advantage. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got home with my HLN437W (my first HDTV), and also had comcast come by earlier with a mot 6200 box. Now my question is this, is the DVI really enabled on the box? Based on what I've read in this and other forums, and a conversation I had with a guy at Cambridge soundworks, I was lead to believe the answer is no. Is there a way I can tell without going out and buying a DVI cable? I asked the comcast guy, and he said, and I quote, "What is DVI?". So obviously not a source for my answer. I want to thank everyone here by the way, I've been lurking for weeks before I made the purchase, and helped tremendously with my choice :)

Setting up the stand now, and should have the Sammy running in an hour or so...I can't wait!

on a side note, I originally was going to enter the HDTV world at a lower price point, and last week order a 47" Panny rear projection from BB.com, which an email confirmed delivery for 1/30. And then yesterday, at 3:30pm, I got a phone call confimation from the delivery group that the TV would be there between 10-12. Then when I got home froom Bestbuy B&M later in the evening, there was a message on my answering machine from the delivery saying the TV way delayed until 2/16 (this message was left at 5:50!). Needless to say, I was absolute pissed and cancelled my order alltogether. I will never buy from BB.com ever again, and was lucky to find this TV in stock at Cambridge SW's. I'm glad though becasue while I did spend double, I was already kind of bummed that I hadn't gotten the DLP that I originally was in love with. Didn't want a larger screen either since I live in an apt, and my living room isn't more than 12x20. Well, that's my story :)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Probably depends on where you live, not all Comcast Areas are on the same Schedule.....

One bad experience with BB.com and you toss them forever! LOL! Caca happens! Man, this is an instant gratification world! LOL!

Enjoy the new toy! HD is something else!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey, it's not like bestbuy is an incedible supplier of technology. They're a meat market, and their biggest plus is they have a huge chain that can absorb occasional sales. My theory on what happened was that when I purchased the TV I got 10% off. Someone else purchased at full price closer to the 30th, and they got priority. How else can you justify having it confirmed both through email and verbally up until 3:30 the day before, only to be told it is "out of stock" at 5:30 that same day? That is a terrible model of theirs, where either I'm right, or they lied to me for the past week to keep me from going to a competitor. I didn't go into how poor the CS rep was that I spoke to afterwards. But based on this event, and the fact that there are about 3 or 4 other reputable firms that charge similar prices, I give another company my business until they prove as inept as BEstbuy did. So yes, I feel it was inexcusable, and will no longer buy from their online store if they can't adequately manage their 3rd party delivery partners...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Well, you dont really know what happened, though I can understand your being pissed. LOL! We did our kitchen through them, on the day they delivered the Range....they dropped it off the truck and on to the street! Lots of broken glass and stuff.....we had wait a few days for try #2!

On my TV, well I worked them. I got them to PM a Internet competitor (-$150), give me the $100 GC (they knocked off another $100 instead of GC), 24 month interest free financing, Free delivery, Free Leather Recliner & Ottoman from the previous weeks ad, and I used my 10% off coupon. Great fun or what! And IMO they have the best Ext Warranty for RPTV's (and Laptops too) With mine on from 5am to Midnight everyday, I expect they'll be replacing a bulb or two! :D That was just over a year ago...been quite happy. Eyeing the JBL and Klipsh packages next! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.