Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Long time reader, very few posts.

I'm trying to get a more definitive answer on this topic. I have just got a new RPTV 57" TV (Sony KV57somethingsomething700) - it's 11 months old, as my father just upgraded to a 61" DLP Samsung and sold me this one for as steal.

The wife and I will be moving into our new place in just over a month so I'd like to get this all hammered down.

The TV (as far as I can remember), has 1 DVI input, and 2 component inputs. I'll likely have an amp in the near future with some form of component switching as well (though my current one does not).

I'll be interested in doing some HTPC stuff, and woudln't mind using the DVI connector for an easy and clean connection from the PC to the computer - but this wouldn't allow me to use a DVI DVD player.

So could someone clarify a couple of things:

a) What would be the best setup for my situation?

b) DVI vs. component - does it really matter?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Adam.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. I would love to do my video switching at the Receiver. the problem is that there is only one receiver that I know of that does this and it's the very top end Sony ($4500+). That thing has so many features I won't ever use that I'm not about to spend that kind of dough.

If anyone out there is a rep from a company, PLEASE make a single-room receiver with DVI switching! Stop putting a thousand connectors on the back of our gear that no serious person will ever use. I think it's safe to say, we all want to get rid of our mess of cables and go with single wire solutions (firewire or DVI).

I want to use a DVI out on my HTPC as well as the DVI output on my sat tuner (with HD and PVR built in). It looks like I'm going to buy a DVI switcher (an external box tht will do my switching).

Luke

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jcruse
Um...your HTPC will BE the DVI DVD player...
I'm not looking at doing a fully blown HTPC.

It will simply be for capturing video, and playing it back, as well as playing back video downloaded from other sources, no DVD player.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Sony but many CRT based RPTVs don't play nicely with the DVI port connected to HTPCs.

As far as which is better, for CRT based TVs component may actually give you better picture quality. The easiest way to tell is to just try them both. Worst case you are out the cost of a cable.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lukeout
I'm in a similar situation. I would love to do my video switching at the Receiver. the problem is that there is only one receiver that I know of that does this and it's the very top end Sony ($4500+). That thing has so many features I won't ever use that I'm not about to spend that kind of dough.

Luke
A couple things. Why not use an external DVI switch? Gefen makes one that is IR controlable. Zector just posted in the HDTV hardware forum that they are working on one that would be IR controlable and could be expanded to except RS-233 control. You may want to post in that thread if you have some feedback for them.

I recently read about an Onkyo that will support HDMI, which is backward compatable with DVI. You might want to look into that. It was just a press release, and I don't think it was going to be available until April.

Also, do you have a model number on the Sony that supports DVI switching?

Thanks,

DanW

·
Registered
235 Posts
FWIW - I just went through this and found I got BETTER picture with a Key Digital transcoder and componant cables than I did with DVI. I also seem to be able to get VASTLY more options to stick in terms of timings.

Gforce 4200Ti and Toshiba 46H83

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Grot!

I am in the process of finally doing an HTPC (been doing desktop PC's for a long time now). I am planning on hooking it into a Toshiba 50H82 using the Audio Authority 9A60 using the ATI 9800. What I am curious about is the timings that you are using - I know mine will be slightly different probably due to different transcoder and video card. I know mine will not do 720P natively but not sure if I send that signal that it will not be converted to 1080i. I just really have a high interest in how my HTPC will fare on this Toshiba. Any feeback greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Im using the key digital transcoder.

I started using the basic predefined High Def timings in Powerstrip. I sort of fell in love with the quality of the 960 by 540 P resolution. Since I am not pushing anything with greater than 540 lines of resolution through it (DVD's and Snapstream) its just been great so far.

When I watch HD, I just switch to the direct componant out from my HDTV cable box - I don't have an HD card yet, nor do I really need one for the 4 HD channels I get.

Anything over 540P gets upsampled to 1080i on my set, and after living with 540P for a while, I just cant go back. 720p and 1080i are really about the same in terms of Picture Quality as far as I can see (admitedly with more desktop resolution, but I don't really use the desktop too much). I have a feeling I will eventually get around to having a few different resolutions to much with - one for desktop work, one for TV, one for DVDs, but right now I'm pretty happy.

So far for DVDs I have just been using PowerDVD (which I happened ot have a license for) and I really like it. I mean, I haven't done enough tweaking to really, really make a difference. I've been spending most of my time getting snapstream to spit nice looking SDTV to the screen, with deinterlacing and such all working right.

I still have a ways to go.

One thing I will say - the TV has VERY different settings when displaying back mpeg streams i've recorded than when watching DVDs. I use Avia to set it up, through the PC. Looked great, then I hopped into TV streams and it was just SOOOO dark as to be unwatchable. I ended up with brightness of around 60, contrast around 50.

Oh, and yes, I am setting things with Powerstrip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Grot, thanks for the feedback. I am chomping to start ordering parts and get this HTPC built but the little accountant is making me wait for the tax return now. Thank god she's filing it electronically!

Anyways I will be posting some results and may be PM'ing you when the tire does finally hit the road. Until then I am sponging up as much info as my pea brain can handle!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.