AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... I am considering buying my father his first DLP projector for a birthday present. But the way it is likely to be set up, the projector could be up to 40 feet away from his DVD player/receiver area which would likely put it in the ballpark of a 50' cable. Is that too long and will there be any noticeable degrade in PQ? Thanks!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I recently bought 50ft of HDMI and 50ft of component from monoprice and havent seen any decrease in PQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroeric /forum/post/12913430

Hi all... I am considering buying my father his first DLP projector for a birthday present. But the way it is likely to be set up, the projector could be up to 40 feet away from his DVD player/receiver area which would likely put it in the ballpark of a 50' cable. Is that too long and will there be any noticeable degrade in PQ? Thanks!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I also have a 50 foot HDMI cable from Monoprice and it is flawless. I compared a six foot and 50 foot and there is no difference. I run a media pc so I'm able to run test images. I got the cheapest HDMI cable listed on Monoprice. 39 bucks I think.

·
Registered
556 Posts
50 feet is beyond spec-compliant length for any HDMI cable on the market. But as you can see from the other replies, "real-world" function often is just fine at lengths which aren't spec-compliant. Our experience has been that for 720p and 1080i, even the cheap Chinese stuff is pretty rock-solid up to 50 feet or so, but at 1080p we start to see some distance failures--even then, the cheap stuff works the majority of the time, but there are exceptions.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I bought these two HDMI cables from monoprice.com to connect my HD-A2 to my Panasonic AVreceiver to my projector:

2804 HDMI Tin-Plated Copper CL2 Rated (For In-Wall Installation) Cable (22AWG) - 50ft (Gold Plated)

$53.64

3955 HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated) - YELLOW

$6.43

The signal was poor and kept disconnecting. When I bypassed the receiver and went straight from the A2 to the PJ using only the 50ft cable the problem stopped. I send the audio from A2 to receiver via optical digital so I have not bothered to find out if the problem was with the 6ft cable or the connections on the receiver.

Anyway, the 50ft 22-gauge monoprice HDMI cable works fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.