AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... I am considering buying my father his first DLP projector for a birthday present. But the way it is likely to be set up, the projector could be up to 40 feet away from his DVD player/receiver area which would likely put it in the ballpark of a 50' cable. Is that too long and will there be any noticeable degrade in PQ? Thanks!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I recently bought 50ft of HDMI and 50ft of component from monoprice and havent seen any decrease in PQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroeric /forum/post/12913430

Hi all... I am considering buying my father his first DLP projector for a birthday present. But the way it is likely to be set up, the projector could be up to 40 feet away from his DVD player/receiver area which would likely put it in the ballpark of a 50' cable. Is that too long and will there be any noticeable degrade in PQ? Thanks!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I also have a 50 foot HDMI cable from Monoprice and it is flawless. I compared a six foot and 50 foot and there is no difference. I run a media pc so I'm able to run test images. I got the cheapest HDMI cable listed on Monoprice. 39 bucks I think.

·
Registered
556 Posts
50 feet is beyond spec-compliant length for any HDMI cable on the market. But as you can see from the other replies, "real-world" function often is just fine at lengths which aren't spec-compliant. Our experience has been that for 720p and 1080i, even the cheap Chinese stuff is pretty rock-solid up to 50 feet or so, but at 1080p we start to see some distance failures--even then, the cheap stuff works the majority of the time, but there are exceptions.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I bought these two HDMI cables from monoprice.com to connect my HD-A2 to my Panasonic AVreceiver to my projector:

2804 HDMI Tin-Plated Copper CL2 Rated (For In-Wall Installation) Cable (22AWG) - 50ft (Gold Plated)

$53.64

3955 HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated) - YELLOW

$6.43

The signal was poor and kept disconnecting. When I bypassed the receiver and went straight from the A2 to the PJ using only the 50ft cable the problem stopped. I send the audio from A2 to receiver via optical digital so I have not bothered to find out if the problem was with the 6ft cable or the connections on the receiver.

Anyway, the 50ft 22-gauge monoprice HDMI cable works fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
can someone tell my why you would need HDMI 1.3 for your projector? Other than "Deep Black" which I've heard and seen nothing about. Dolby True HD????? Why do you need sound going to your projector?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts