AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do DVD players with DVI or HDMI outputs bypass the digital to analog conversion and delivers digital straight to the display?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Yes, so the Video DAC's in the player do not come into play when using DVI or HDMI. What your display does with it after that......who knows...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCarncross
What your display does with it after that......who knows...
FWIW, Pioneer actively markets the fact that video data coming in via the HDMI port on their plasmas bypassess all of the interal A/D and D/A conversions. Hence, if you use the HDMI output on a DVD player and the HDMI input on a Pio plasma, at no time is the video information converted in or out of analog. They call this "pure drive" or something like that.

I suspect this is the case for other HDMI-capable displays, but I haven't seen them market it with a cute name like Pioneer has.... or it may not be the case! I dunno.

Ross

·
23,031 Posts
Most, if not all, digital displays nowadays do not convert digital input to analogue. The only digital displays of recent memory that did D/A and then A/D were the first one or two generations of the Sony Grand Wega LCD RPTVs. Or at least nobody reported other displays that did this.

larry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.