Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is the first time I have posted so it’s going to be a real newbie question please bare with me.

I have a small HTPC setup listed below.

Windows XP SP1

P4 2.4 gig

Hercules 3d Prophet 3 (GForce III) DVI output.

Sony VPL-HS-10

Sony DVD rom.

Theater Tek

Powerstrip

I have a problem when outputting via the DVI connection on the video card, the maximum displayable resolution I can achieve is only 1024 x 768 ( Which really sucks) when I know the Projector can run much higher. Using the VGA cable this is not a problem.

A few observations:

1. I’m using the most up-to-date drivers I can find for the card.

2. The Monitor is being displayed only as a plug and play monitor.

3. Powerstrip is not able to create a custom resolution for this monitor because the maximum displayable resolution is only 1024 x 768

Can anyone please make any suggestions that will help solve this problem?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I got my Geforce to do 1280 x 720 via DVI, but never 1:1 mapping.

A Radeon 9xxx is best to get, a 9000 is cheap but rather old, 9200 is fairly cheap (I have one) and the 9700/9800 are very fast but pricey.

If you want to play modern games on it, go towards higher models otherwise go for the lower; they all play DVDs equally well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI,

Well i dont know what i did but got it to work, anyways will take your advise and purchase a 9700 pro or a 9800 pro, i live in Hong Kong so these cards are not to expensive ,

As a referance do you have the timmings for powestrip?

Thanks,

Jolli

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks will give it a try.

On a side note i hooked up the Projector to my DVD player and was suprised the the pricture qaulity was still up there with the HTPC, maybe it's my setup and the video card i'm using ? anyone care to comment on this? or maybe it's my eyes it was rather late

I have a TOSHiBA (non progressive scan DVD player)

JOLLI

·
Registered
342 Posts
Get a Radeon 9000 or 9700 because the 2D image quality is much better than the Nvidia cards (yes I have both). The reason why the Nvidia cannot do above 1024x768 is because many manufacturers only use the standard internal TMDS which I believe has a maximum resolution of 1024x768 when Nvidia recommend manufacturers to use an external TMDS for the DVI port.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the Advise i went out today and purchased a 9800 pro hope this is a good choice?

While i got you here can you answer and other quick question, please.

i noticed the 9800 pro has a DVI-I connection on it My HS-10 only has an DVI-D will this still work ? and will the DVi-D cable still do the JOB or is there something else im missing here like a dongle of some sort?

Thanks again,

Jolli

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jolli
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the Advise i went out today and purchased a 9800 pro hope this is a good choice?

While i got you here can you answer and other quick question, please.

i noticed the 9800 pro has a DVI-I connection on it My HS-10 only has an DVI-D will this still work ? and will the DVi-D cable still do the JOB or is there something else im missing here like a dongle of some sort?

Thanks again,

Jolli
9800 pro is a very good card and will be handy if you want to play the exceptional game Half-Life 2 which is out in a few months. That will truely look breathtaking on a projector. I have the 9700 Pro and its a very nice card.

My projector does not have DVI input but I believe the DVI-I and DVI-D pin-outs are very similar, DVI-I just has a few extra pins for the analogue signal so I dont see why a DVI-D to DVI-D cable will not plug into a Radeon 9800 Pro.

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/support/DVI_HDMI.htm shows you a picture of a DVI-I and a DVI-D connector, but your best asking in the

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Guys,

Once again Thanks a million, over the past few days I have become a so called expert on all things relating to my new toy (HS-10 toy that is)

There's nothing like spending a **** load of cash on a new device and finding it just doesn’t work the way you want it too right out of the box, this really helps motivate you to make it work and find the solution to your problems. At one stage their I was ready to quite with this Idea of HTPC, but the idea of my wife telling me that you have spent a **** load of money on something that didn’t work really kept me going. Its amazing how many sleepless night's I have had over the past few days trying to make this thing work the way It' suppose too. HEHHEHEH

Anyways I have good news to report, Success!!!!!!

I have finally been able to; with my new video card get my HS-10 too output a picture which in my humble opinion is nothing short of outstanding. Once I finally worked out the new card and the DVI-D cable issues I was on my way.

Last night we sat down and watched the Terminator 2 again and it was amazing.

Thanks for all your help folks.

JOLLI :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Before this forum, I knew nothing of HDTV's and I bought my Sony HS500, thinking it was as easy as NTSC, to hook up to a PC and go (DVI-D). After reading the many posts of knowledgeable information on this forum, I have my TV working like a big-screen monitor (DVI-D). Now I feel like I've known lots about HDTV's for years.

Thats good that you are on your way too. Now for hours of enjoyment from your investment.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Once you get the HTPC up and running there is no going back, the image quality and myriad of tweaks allow you to set up the projector how you want it. I will never be returning to a standalone DVD player. I also like the fact the HTPC can use programs like DSCALER so cable looks decent on the projector. If you have your HTPC hooked up to a flat panel display it is also useful for shopping and becoming your music centre and also stream internet radio shows (with a decent sound card like the Terratec/M-Audio)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi Steve,

i hear you, i played around with a standalone DVd for a while, the image q was nothing like what i can get out of my HTPC.

While we are talking about image qaulity, do you use FFDshow at all?

If so what is your setup?

or do you think it's not something you really need?

JOLLI

·
Registered
342 Posts
I do use ffdshow but I havent really spent a long time evaluating it. I tend to use unsharpen at 30 for xvid/divx and DVD movies.

I use Zoom Player with Sonic DVD Video and Intervideo Audio (Platinium) which I think is the best combination for my setup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi Jolli,

good to learn someone from HK also using HS10 and with 1:1 DVI in mind. bought my HS10 last week + 30 ft. DVI-D cable

I couldnt make up my mind on my display card purchase for HTPC, currently just using a ti4200 ripped from my desktop (1024x768 only).. still couldnt resist to watch 2 movies in a row in one evening.

would like to seek your review on your newly bought radeon 9800 pro, plus the parameters on Powerstrip as well.

have you got a "built by ATI" card?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Curious.... what did the 9800 Pro cost you over in HK?

-FoundSoul

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Folks,

It cost about $350 USD, if i shopped around i could have got it for less.

Hong Kong Is one of the cheapest places in the world to buy computer hardware.......

JOLLI

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.