AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having purchased a NON - HDCP compliant G-150 PJ. I found out that my new Zenith HDTV set top box will not pass an OTA signal from the Zenith's DVI output to my projector DVI input.

Does anyone foresee any problems outputing DVD signals via the DVI out on one of the forthcoming DVI equipped scalers (e.g. ASIM / HD LEE / FE, etc.) to my non-HDCP compliant PJ via it's DVI input??

Thanks

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
As long as the scaler is receiving/scaling a source that isn't HDCP encoded, it'll work fine. The scaler will only pass on HDCP encryption if the source has it (like your Zenith box). Otherwise, the DVI output on these scalers would perform just like an HTPC. You set it to a certain resolution, and it scales everything to that resolution. I think for your D-ILA, the max res via DVI is 1280x1024.

For example:

DVD player component output > scaler > DVI output at 1280x1024, no HDCP, will work fine

LD player composite output > scaler > DVI output at 1280x1024, no HDCP, will work fine

Zenith set-top box DVI output (720p/1080i with HDCP) > scaler > DVI output at 1280x1024 with HDCP still intact, won't work with your D-ILA

Basically, it's only a concern if the source you're scaling has HDCP.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
since not much HD has HDCP yet, has the Bland been trying to display that via his zenith? or does the Zenith put the CP kieball on anything it outputs via DVI?

Conversely, if your display can accept HDCP/DVI, what happens if you send it NON-CP/DVI, like third's first two exmples.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlm
since not much HD has HDCP yet, has the Bland been trying to display that via his zenith? or does the Zenith put the CP kieball on anything it outputs via DVI?
I'm not too familiar with HD set top boxes, OTA or satellite, but I've heard that some boxes apply HDCP to the DVI output even if the original signal never had it. This is a bug. Don't quote me though.

Quote:
Conversely, if your display can accept HDCP/DVI, what happens if you send it NON-CP/DVI, like third's first two exmples.
Nothing. It displays it as normal. I have my HTPC hooked up to a Sharp Z10000 via DVI, and it works fine.

·
Registered
27,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Zenith will not pass anything via DVI.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
My Zenith will not pass anything via DVI.
If it's sending a 1080i signal via DVI, your projector wouldn't sync anyway, whether it was HDCP or not. 1080i isn't supported by standard DVI ports designed for PC use. Since the G150 isn't HDCP compliant I seriously doubt the port can accept 1080i. 720p might work though.

Have you hooked up a PC to it to test it out?

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
thebland,

Some DVI boxes will not pass anything unless they see the DVI connection right when they boot up.

Try unplugging every other output on the Zenith. Then, turn off the power on both the Zenith and the PJ.

Next, turn on the PJ first, make sure only DVI is connected on both ends and that the PJ is set to the DVI input. THEN turn on the Zenith.

It should work.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Jeff,

Zenith recently released a firmware patch for the 520 to fix the problem where it was applying HDCP to everything going over DVI (a bug, and a really bad one at that which should never have left the lab). Without the patch, even OTA HD was being output as DVI/HDCP (vs. plain DVI), rendering non-HDCP compliant displays impotent without reason.

Assuming that you received this patch via download over DirecTV and are up to date, any lingering DVI problems are likely related to what Jay and/or Ofer posted. Good luck--the whole DVI/HDCP "what works?" issue is hard enough to deal with, much more so when the stupid STB manufacturers screw up their designs.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm not sure if its screwed up designs that are causing the issues. The HDCP license is quite onerous IMO and many are probably leaning toward being a bit too restrictive so as to minimize legal risks. Most of these manufacturers have many licenses to juggle as well, such as 5C and macrovision. As such, you are seeing them apply HDCP on the DVI output anytime the detect other CP - just to be safe. Believe me, I can guarantee Zenith had corporate attorneys pouring over the HDCP license before that "bug fix" was released.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Point well taken, Tom. At least they fixed it.

·
Registered
27,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try getting the software update. I need to mount a dish first in an attempt to get the latest software.

I will post when I get it updated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.