Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had compared the following:

1. I currently own a Bravo D1 DVI DVD player and it upconverts DVDs to 720p, however, it offers no brightness/contrast controls when connected with a DVI cable.

2. I also have a HTPC and am trying to get my PDIdeluxe/Xcard/Dscaler combo to work. I assume, that this should look about as good as the Bravo, but allow more video adjustment options. Is this true? This solution allows for the most use and the least equipment.

3. Then there is a SDI player hooked up to an SDI card on an HTPC. This would keep everything in the digital domain, so how would this compare to a DVI player alone and to the PDI/Xcard combo? This solution requires a seperate modded DVD player, but can use Dscaler fro extra fine tuning if necessary.

Right now I am just trying to get #2 to work, but I am always striving for best video possible. Plus I am interested in the new Bravo D3 which appears to have the Xcard built in. So, what will offer the best video: a DVI player, a SDI player, an HTPC? Even, if you've compared two, that would be helpful.;)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Good question. I am posting to hear an answer. Particularly on #3.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
he he, yes, a really good question. I'm building my first HTPC and ask myself the same question. May be this question is better in the HTPC forum?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody?

I got a private email from someone who has an SDI modded player with the Holograph 3DII card and they said that this combo has bested some very high end players/scalers. The Bravo looks pretty good in most cases, but still has issues and no brightness/contrast control via DVI. Software HTPC players look very good and have better overall color to me, but are a bit soft.

So I am guessing that the answers lie with a PDI/Xcard/Dscaler combo or with an SDI modded player. The new Bravo (D2 and D3) will have video control, so that may add them back to my list of possible choices, but I doubt their de-interlacer/scaler is comparable to a HTPC?!?

Maybe they could be persuaded to post there info here for others to read?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.