AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Momitsu V880 with all the latest firmware reapplied (+ or -) 4321 times. The loader is still, um, hmmm... quirky... Did you know DVD players can talk? Mine does.

"Subtitles? I'm not loading THAT one."

"That's movie SUCKS. not again, sorry."

" Kind of late isnt it? I'm just going to stop here..."

"Did you want me to pause here? How about here? Here? Maybe here?"

"I'm not talking to Remote right now. Hes a jerk and so are YOU."

What a great image and at the same time what an incredible Peice of Sh!t (hereafter referred to as POS). I've battled with it for a year and I'm done.

So... I'm looking for a second player to back up this POS when it doesnt "feel like" playing a DVD. I figure between two POS's the probability of one of them being "in the mood" to load a DVD and perhaps stick with it for 2 solid hours will be 100% greater eh?

So...I was about to buy a Denon 1910 then I heard about green push and macroblocking. Hmmm.... I really don't need to introduce new problems. Got enough already thanks. Then I was about to buy a Denon 2910 and I heard about stuttering and freezing. Hey, wait, I already have that feature! How about a Samsung? Oh, wait black and white crushing. An LG or a Zenith? No component upconversion? What Firmware version? Crushing?

Faroudja Macroblocking? HUH??? How did that escape quality control? Arent they supposed to be the best? WTF?

Why is it so frigging hard to make decent DVD player???

Huh???

HUHH?!?!?!?!?!?!!???

HUUUUHHHHH ?!?!?!?!?!?!???

I'm not even talking about a feature rich player - just a friggin player that has DVI and actually plays the frigging DVD's from frigging start to friggin finish without friggin introducing friggin artifacts like friggin MacroBlocking or friggin crushing or friggin pixel cropping friggin frig frig frig....???

So if you would be so kind to help a man on the edge - I do need a backup player - what is the best *non* DVI/HDMI on the market for under $500? Something basic, reliable? Does Volvo make DVD players?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Very funny. Anyway, I've been through most of the cheepies including the Momitsu and the 1910. I now have the 2910 and am very happy. Picture is excellent. Loader is excellent. No skipping, freezing, etc. Fast response from the remote.

I believe the report of freezing, etc. are particular to DVD-Rs and +Rs. I'm currently going through my library of DVD-Rs (about 400 discs) and playing each one (load, skip a few chapters and then FF to the end). I'm up to disc number 60. So far I had 1 that didn't load properly. I re-burned it by copying the bad disc to a new one and its fine.

The only negative for me is that the player stretches 4:3 and non-anamorphic. This requires either a manual change to "squeeze mode" (a 2910 menu item) or alternatively manually changing the aspect ration on my BenQ. An annoyance. Not horrible but one would think that if a cheap player like a Momitsu or a Bravo can do it, why not a $650 Denon? But, overall the 2910 is the first player that, after watching about 12 discs start to finish (in addition to the previously mentioned testing), I don't worry about skipping or freezing when I'm trying to enjoy a movie.

For me the 2910 is a keeper.

·
Premium Member
8,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Johnson
Very funny. Anyway, I've been through most of the cheepies including the Momitsu and the 1910. I now have the 2910 and am very happy. Picture is excellent. Loader is excellent. No skipping, freezing, etc. Fast response from the remote.

I believe the report of freezing, etc. are particular to DVD-Rs and +Rs. I'm currently going through my library of DVD-Rs (about 400 discs) and playing each one (load, skip a few chapters and then FF to the end). I'm up to disc number 60. So far I had 1 that didn't load properly. I re-burned it by copying the bad disc to a new one and its fine.

The only negative for me is that the player stretches 4:3 and non-anamorphic. This requires either a manual change to "squeeze mode" (a 2910 menu item) or alternatively manually changing the aspect ration on my BenQ. An annoyance. Not horrible but one would think that if a cheap player like a Momitsu or a Bravo can do it, why not a $650 Denon? But, overall the 2910 is the first player that, after watching about 12 discs start to finish (in addition to the previously mentioned testing), I don't worry about skipping or freezing when I'm trying to enjoy a movie.

For me the 2910 is a keeper.
Yeah, what he just said.

;-)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Todd,

I feel your pain. Finally got tired of battling my Momitsu V880 and sprang for a Pioneer 59AVi. Ahhhh, the joy of a great picture AND reliability.

htomei

·
Registered
12 Posts
As others have pointed out in various posts, it seems that unplugging my Momitsu V880 for 45 seconds and restarting it gets rid of skipping, freezing, and any other problems--it shows the player who's boss, if you will. My Momitsu continues to give spectacular picture quality in a multiregion player, so I'm sticking to it, despite its quirks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ya know to be honest, my Momistu was not too quirky and the clear winner in the cheapie department. It would occasionally take a little extra time to load (extra from its already slow load time). Command response was a bit sluggish. It would always freeze for a second or 2 when in pause more for too long. It would freeze for a moment or 2 in the middle of a disc, about every other disc. The cheap door on the cheap loader never fully closed correctly. The deinterlacer was not the best (jaggies). The picture was a bit soft (compared to the Bravo.. which was a real POS). And it looked and felt like a $75 player which cost $250. But it was ok. I lived with it for about 8 months and was relatively happy considering to get anything better meant big $$.

But I never felt it was 'good enough'. I've spent about 30K for my AV system. Why put up a with a sub-par source device? The 2910 has an excellent picture (read accurate colors, minimal artifacts and "sharp, sharp, sharp") and is mechanically smooth with no surprises too date. It looks and feels like a $600 player that costs $600. I finally lost the burning desire I've had constantly for the past year and a half to upgrade my DVD player.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You know... the Denon 2900 has been going for "stupid cheap" money in the refurb line...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
bummer. my v880dx has been flawless so far. they appear to have addressed all of the

little quirks that plagued my dad's older v880 (until the last firmware update)

fwiw, a sammy hd1000 is the other dvd machine in my setup.

it's not been used much since the v880dx showed up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new to this forum, but I've spent hours reading here (as many of you have) and I am really surprised on how many "Denon Heads" there are. You guys notice that? That's all I see on here. They do make some good players, but freakin hell, they aren't always the best. The Faro chip is arguably the top chip, yes, but there are so many other aspects that go in to making a good quality DVD player.

Todd, It's hard to beat the HK-DVD22 in terms of 480p PQ. There might be only 20 threads on this whole forum that even mention the DVD22? I find that hard to believe. If you don't care about SACD and DVD-A, then it's the best for the price ($199)......and YES, even compared to the 1910. Even the 1910 1080i upscaling doesn't beat it.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I believe Kris has already stated that if he were to pick the best combination, he'd get either a DVD3910, DVD5900 or DVD2900 and have it SDI modded to feed a video processor (DVDO iScanHD+ or Lumagen VisionHDP) and just be done with it.

Why screw around with the senseless bitching and whining about lesser players? Are you a masochist? Collect more cans, sell your sister, get a job at McDonald's to supplement your Wal-Mart job and step up to a better world of video.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Murphy Jr
Why screw around with the senseless bitching and whining about lesser players? Are you a masochist? Collect more cans, sell your sister, get a job at McDonald's to supplement your Wal-Mart job and step up to a better world of video.
Boy, tough crowd......

htomei

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
>>>Boy, tough crowd

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Put in Van Helsing this weekend.

Momitsu went:

Load->No Disc->Load->00:00:00->Load->No Disc->Open

and the disk came back out. Now that was a new one.

"David Sommers? Didn't you check RottenTomatoes first???"

Damn sentient DVD player. Luckily pulling the plug for 60 seconds did the trick.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For the guy asking about the Denon 2910 with the Benq 8700, that's my setup. I just got the 2910 last week and have watched a few movies. No problems, and a GREAT picture via 720p DVI.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.