Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Well I thought I'd share the info as i've posted several times in the past week regarding my HTPC to HDTV via DVI connection was showing red for black color after an ATI driver update. After all the software changes, system crashes, re-formats, etc it ended up being the DVI cable. It was a coincident that the cable failed same time as i updated the driver (although there may be correlation but I'm not gonna read into it too much). The Pacific Cable DVIDL-3 that I bought about 4-5 months ago failed on me. I went out to Best buy and bought a Belkin DVI cable and bam everything is fine now. There is really no visible damage on the cable/pins so I'm not sure what happened. I know Pacific Cable is regarded around here as a good cable provider and it is a quality piece (from the outside). I do notice that the contacts on the pacific cable is a tad dirty (rust?) from day 1 compared to the Belkin. Also, I seem to get a tad cleaner signal with Belkin (dunno if DVI cables can be really that diff). Only problem is that Pacific Cable is under $30 shipped for 9ft and Belkin is $70+tax for 6ft (well monster is $100 for 6 ft). I wrote an email to Pacific cable to see if they would exchange but I'm not even sure if I want another one (refund?). I am pretty happy with the Belkin and it has lifetime warranty. Well its weird to me as a cable can fail b/c I've had computer IDE cables fail alot but never really a composite, s-video, or component, vga, etc :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Glad to hear you resolved it. And glad to hear your TV's okay as well.

ATI could be tweaking the DVI output in their driver updates a bit. Perhaps that revealed some pre-existing weakness in cable. If the contacts on your cable look "dirty", that might also be a sign that they weren't making good contact, and perhaps corroded. I'm no expert on this though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.