AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read of DVI switches and cables adding "sparkles" and affecting picture quality. How is this possible if DVI is a digital transmission medium? All digital mediums that I know of include checksums, etc... to correct for or at least detect errors in transmission. It's possible to destroy bits but not to change them. If that's the case, then I'd think that a DVI cable/switch would either pass signal or not, but it shouldn't change it... right? Wrong? Beuller?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've seen sparkles on cheap DVI cables. Noise is easily picked up due to the poor shielding of these cables. When the noise level approaches the digital signalling level, it creates the sparkles.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
If it keeps approaching everything goes wacko. :D

I understand that below the "sparkle threshold" all cables perform the same.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I have sparkles without DVI with some SD content on digital channels, and on the reddish/brown area of the score chart on CBS golf in HD. On the SD content it only affects certain colors, and it typically only on commercials (although typically I'm only watching on this device in HD so only the commercials are in SD).

This is on a device connected by component, so don't assume the sparkles are DVI related. I know also have an HD DVI device connected, so this weekend I should be able to check to see if CBS golf has the same issue on that device.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.