Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks:

I have Samsung's HLN4365 DLP, TS360 box, and HD841 DVD.

Since the tv only has one DVI input, can I hang a DVI splitter (Y-Cable) off the back of the tv so I can connect both the TS360 and HD841 via DVI at the same time, without having to manually switch the connection each time? Will a splitter like this sacrifice the signal quality? I've seen a few DVI Y-cables on eBay, but I'd like to know before I pick one up.

Another thing I saw was a DVI switch box made by Gefen. Seems like this would do the job but it is big $$ - over $200. I'd rather pay $10 for the DVI splitter :)

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use the pacific cable dvi switch - 4 inputs - 1 output to feed my hln50 from comcast, dish and samsung dvd player all using dvi outputs. Use my harmony remote to automatically switch whenever i change inputs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

Just had a few more thoughts. If I think about this logically, the Y-cable isn't really "splitting" the signal b/c only one output device (DVD or set-top) would be used at a time. So the signal goes straight into the single TV.

I could see how a Y-cable wouldn't work if one output signal was being sent to two displays, but in this case I am looking to do the reverse. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a similiar problem.

I have a Samsung HLN5065W with 1 DVI input, 1 VGA input and using them for my DVD and HTL-HD receiver respectively.

I am getting the HD Tivo this week and will lose the option of the VGA out of the HD receiver. Can I install the HDMI-DVI cable on the HD TIVO, then put on a DVI-I Female to DVI-I Female gender changer on the end of that to connect to the DVI cable running to my TV?

I know I would manually have to switch, the cables, but I don't really mind.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCD31
Thanks for the info.

Just had a few more thoughts. If I think about this logically, the Y-cable isn't really "splitting" the signal b/c only one output device (DVD or set-top) would be used at a time. So the signal goes straight into the single TV.

I could see how a Y-cable wouldn't work if one output signal was being sent to two displays, but in this case I am looking to do the reverse. Any thoughts?
Digital connection can not be combined or splitted, especially with HDCP enabled on your DVD player. You may ended up damaged one or both your DVI devices.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronj
I have a similiar problem.

I am getting the HD Tivo this week and will lose the option of the VGA out of the HD receiver. Can I install the HDMI-DVI cable on the HD TIVO, then put on a DVI-I Female to DVI-I Female gender changer on the end of that to connect to the DVI cable running to my TV?
You can buy a HDMI-to-DVI cable and connect directly. No need for gender change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121
You can buy a HDMI-to-DVI cable and connect directly. No need for gender change.
Actually, the issue is that my components are in a closet and I have a long DVI cable running to where the TV is. So to run an HDMI-to-DVI cable in addition to a DVI-DVI cable to one input on the TV wouldn't be ideal.

Alternatively, would there be a way to go from the HDMI output on the HD TIVO to DVI, then to VGA?

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
If you already have DVI cable, you just need a HDMI->DVI converter.

You can't convert HDMI/DVI-D(digital) to VGA(analog) without $$. There is a converter posted in DVD forums that you can buy to convert DVI/HDCP to VGA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.