AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you haven't seen it yet, Gefen has released a DVI switcher for less than $300. Check it out

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Wow... that's a LOT less than $300, and it comes with two six-foot DVI cables as well (not to mention HDCP compliance). Since most people in here--if they have any DVI video sources at all--only have two DVI outputs to switch, Gefen must have realized that they were pricing themselves out of the market with their expensive $449 and up KVM switchers which included unneeded (for home theater) audio and USB switching.

Thanks for the heads-up, leadfoot... I hope you don't mind but I edited your thread title to garner a bit more attention. At this price point I'm sure a lot of AVS members will reconsider purchasing one of these devices (I know I will).

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
This is good news. Rumor has it Comcast may be enabling the DVI port on their HDTV cable box soon, if they do it's nice to have a more reasonable option available.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gammans
Thanks for the heads-up, leadfoot... I hope you don't mind but I edited your thread title to garner a bit more attention. At this price point I'm sure a lot of AVS members will reconsider purchasing one of these devices (I know I will).
I don't mind at all that you edited the title. I too was pleasantly surprised to find this switcher. I'm really going to be in a sticky spot once I get the Z2/PT-L500U and an HDTV STB both with DVI outputs. Not to mention a DVD player with DVI...*sigh*

·
Registered
23 Posts
This could come in handy for another issue I was considering.

I'm going to have my PC next to my home theater and would like to be able to tinker with direct output to a projector, but the PC itself will have its own two LCD displays.

So I can switch between using the PC as an audio workstation (with DVI output to an LCD panel - its main purpose) and as a part-time HTPC (DVI output to projector) when I want to screw around with that.

I'm more of an appliance person when I watch movies (leave the tinkering for work and setup, not watching), but I did want to experiment with this without setting up a separate machine.

-vas

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
vkottas I am having a little trouble visualizing your setup from the description you have provided. Are you saying that you will have one video source (your HTPC) which will connect to two displays (your projector and workstation display)? If that's the case, you can't use a switcher--you need a splitter, which distributes one input amongst two or more outputs--exactly the opposite function of a switcher. (You can't just turn a switcher around and use it as a splitter--it doesn't work like that.)

As it happens, Gefen also just came out with a 1-to-2 DVI splitter which is also HDCP-compliant, so you're covered no matter which way you're set up. Just be sure that you buy the correct type of device for your needs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Scott,

That's exactly what I'm talking about - thanks for the correction.

Wow - this was my first post to an AVS forum (been lurking for a few weeks now and just signed up) and lo and behold, I get a helpful response in minutes.

I'm just now getting into projector-land (looking to get something in the next month or two - leaning towards the HS20 since it's in my price range and I fear rainbows/eye strain), so I think this is the beginning of a long and beautiful relationship with avsforum :)

Thanks again,

-vas

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Welcome to the forum... glad to be of assistance.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by vkottas
Wow - this was my first post to an AVS forum (been lurking for a few weeks now and just signed up) and lo and behold, I get a helpful response in minutes.
Get used to it. This is the most active forum I've been too in recent years with a signal-to-noise ratio so high it rivals HDTV via DVI through 2-1 Gefen switcher.

Sorry.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had a long talk with Hagai Gefen at CEDIA. I pointed out what the community would want would be an added IR ability. I spoke with him again last week..and, well all I can say is wait a little bit before you buy one of these.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Steve-

are you saying the promised October release of their HDTV DVI switch will have IR as well?

Do you know if this will also be released in a 4X1 switch, or just 2X1?

thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.