AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
N00B to this board. Please be gentle.

I have a TV in my bedroom (Sony Wega KV32FS210) that I'd like to hook up to a pc. It only has component and composite plugs. I bought a DVI to Component cable and thought that's all I would need to do. The screen is scrambled. I tried changing to different resolutions and refresh rates. The screen would change but never a clear picture.

I called Sony. He said that this TV only supports 480I analog resolution. Since my video card won't go lower then 800x600 he said it is not possible to use this TV as a computer monitor.

I'm doing more research as I have never used a TV as a monitor before. Maybe I can just get a different video card? This project I thought would be easy when I bought a Pinnacle HD Wireless To Go box. That was a tech support nightmare from hell (still waiting for refund check). Since I have bought a Slingbox Pro, HD Connect and a bridge (about $180) just to avoid getting a 2nd DVR (about $16 a month) for my bedroom. I feel pretty stupid now. Not to mention I busted my laptop in one of my tantrums.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddist1 /forum/post/15592216

I bought a DVI to Component cable and thought that's all I would need to do....Since my video card won't go lower then 800x600 he said it is not possible to use this TV as a computer monitor.

The only possible DVI to component cable I can think of would be a cable that takes the analog portion of DVI which is basically VGA, and breaks it out to RGB. RGB is not the same as YPbPr component, which is why the cable didn't work for you.

If your TV has an s-video input, you could use a video card with s-video out. That's really the best and only solution, and isn't a great one either. Using a TV as a computer monitor seldom produces good results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhiskers /forum/post/15594207

The only possible DVI to component cable I can think of would be a cable that takes the analog portion of DVI which is basically VGA, and breaks it out to RGB. RGB is not the same as YPbPr component, which is why the cable didn't work for you.

If your TV has an s-video input, you could use a video card with s-video out. That's really the best and only solution, and isn't a great one either. Using a TV as a computer monitor seldom produces good results.

I mainly just want to watch my DVR on it not use it as an every day web surfing pc.

This video card does not have an S Video output just DVI and VGA.

Guess I'm not going to be able to do what I want. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What kind of video card is it? Frankly, if it's an older model you can replace it with a similarly older model that has an S-video out for a fairly low price, probably less than that DVI to component cable. Good luck, and in the future remember Ockham's razor, "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is best." So, if it's the difference of paying $16 a month or buying and configuring a bunch of equipment, and the net benefit of the second option is no different than the first? Go with the first. Hope you can recoup your costs.

tno

1 - 4 of 4 Posts