AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a plasma this week, we are currently using SD

We have an older comcast box with a dvi connection. The rep told us we have HD on that box, the other two are standard and consist of just a cable from the wall. The question is that I called comcast to see if they had a hdmi to hdmi box they could swap me and I got a long story about how my HD needs to be switched on and that it would be an extra $7 a month for this special box.

Now my hunch is that I get the DVI to HDMI converter and I will have HD. The channels list on the tv, but of course I dont have the tv yet nor do I have the cable.

any advise?

·
Registered
22,829 Posts
What is the make/model number of the cable box in question?

If the existing cable box is "HD" capable, you will probably only receive those channels which are non-encrypted (in the clear), typically locals only (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, etc.).

My advice would be to order your DVI/HDMI cable or converter and try it out when your new TV arrives.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Unless you are paying for and receiving HD service from Comcast having a DVI to HDMI cable will not allow you to watch HD channels other then those which are unencrypted as stated by Ratman. The video signal protocol over DVI and HDMI cables/ connectors is the same. Therefore all a DVI-HDMI adapter or cable does it connect the DVI video signal pins to their corresponding HDMI video signal pins.

The cable out of the wall outlet from Comcast allready contains all of their SD analog channels. SD digital channels, and HD digital channels.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18274296

Unless you are paying for and receiving HD service from Comcast having a DVI to HDMI cable will not allow you to watch HD channels other then those which are unencrypted as stated by Ratman. The video signal protocol over DVI and HDMI cables/ connectors is the same. Therefore all a DVI-HDMI adapter or cable does it connect the DVI video signal pins to their corresponding HDMI video signal pins.

The cable out of the wall outlet from Comcast allready contains all of their SD analog channels. SD digital channels, and HD digital channels.

how do you know if you are receiving HD? Is there a way to tell when scrolling channels?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is a number on the back of the motorola box GI4117NCH278

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
First you have to select a channel number with your tuner that you know is a HD channel and not a SD channel since the program will be avialable in both resolutions on your cable. For example on my Cox cable STB system "HD" resolution CBS is on channel 702 and the standard definition version of the same channels is on channel 2. And on my TV's tuner the Standard definition analog verision is againg channel 2 but the HD clar QAM tuner version is channel 2_1.

·
Banned
2,443 Posts
Even if you get in HD, DVI only passes video not audio just to let you know. also the only fre HD you re going to get is Clear QAM which mean basically just local channels. And from what I hear in many areas Comcast is getting rid of those too. But as I said even if they still have clear QAM all you are going to get in HD is ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW and MyNetwork. If you want anymore than the networks you'll have to fork over the extra $$$$ for HD.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 /forum/post/18275801

...also the only fre HD you re going to get is Clear QAM which mean basically just local channels. And from what I hear in many areas Comcast is getting rid of those too.

Nope. It's Comcast corporate policy to pass all the local HD they carry in any given area in clear QAM.

As system maintenance and upgrades are done, this can be screwed up at times.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Actually, if he has the HD box he will get the hi def version of any channel he currently gets in standard def (if Comcast carries the HD version). Comcast does not charge an HD access fee like D* and E*. At least that is how it works at my parents house (they only have digital starter and get the HD version of any channel they get in SD).

·
Banned
2,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/18276607

Nope. It's Comcast corporate policy to pass all the local HD they carry in any given area in clear QAM FOR NOW.

Fixed it for you. I'll put money on it that within 3 years they and many other cable companies won't.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 /forum/post/18278072

Fixed it for you. I'll put money on it that within 3 years they and many other cable companies won't.

Ok, I'll bite. Why are they all going to change?

·
Registered
22,829 Posts
They never provided "locals" for free since day one.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 /forum/post/18280593

Why not. Does DirecTv or DishNetwork provide HD locals for free? No.

The satellite companies are not covered by the FCC must carry rules since they are not granted monopoly status in local areas the way cable companies are.

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
Clear QAM is only for using a TV QAM tuner and is seperate from using a cable box QAM tuner.

Chances are if the OP has a DVI box, he is already subscribed to HD channels.If so, all this is moot. However if he has a HD box but NOT subscribed to the HD tier, clear QAM or not, the box will only give the channels that are programmed to the box. NOw if that is the case, he can take the cable from the wall and connect directly to a QAM capable TV and get the 'in the clear' channels without incuring any additional cost or needing the box to be 'switched' on.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I have a friend who has a PVR box from our local cable company and who does not have "digital service" just analog and he gets the clearQAM HD digital channels with it since the only PVR box our cable box offers is a digital capable PVR. We found this out by accident one day by selecting one of the local HD digital channel numbers instead of an analog channel number.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts