AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HTPC with a 6800GT card in it. Went out and bought a DVI to HDMI cable for it and got the seemingly ever popular overscan issue. Simple question, will getting a different graphics card fix this? I am interested in getting pixel for pixel match for blu-ray playback and if a low priced card with a real HDMI out on it would help...I'd do it. I am searching through the threads for an answer...and it seems people arrive at solutions I cannot implement. Please help.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Many TVs do not support anything but standard (1280x720) HD resolutions over HDMI. You might find that VGA (if your TV has it) will support custom resolutions (1368x768 is the most common). What model TV?

BB

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
The overscan is generated by the TV, the graphics card display the same image regardless of overscan or not.

Most graphics driver provide overscan compensation for TV's that can't eliminate overscan.

You didn't mention your TV type. Some sets like rear projection require overscan as it's part of the technology. Direct view LCD and Plasma should have a setting the is pixel map or 1:1 or something like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Samsung LN-S4096D (Yes...one of the first 1080p's) and yes it does have a VGA input that works. But I was under the impression that a DVI->HDMI connection would be better. After extensive reading...looks like I cannot have that due to this stupid overscan issue.

How do VGA connections compare to DVI\\HDMI?

Is my only option to use the VGA. Anyway to enter service mode and turn off overscanning? (Probably not)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/15563757

The overscan is generated by the TV, the graphics card display the same image regardless of overscan or not.

Most graphics driver provide overscan compensation for TV's that can't eliminate overscan.

You didn't mention your TV type. Some sets like rear projection require overscan as it's part of the technology. Direct view LCD and Plasma should have a setting the is pixel map or 1:1 or something like that.

Well I am glad I didn't go out and get a new card. Sheesh. I spent this last week building this HTPC with blu-ray, and I never would have guessed that something like this would bite me in the ass.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvenking /forum/post/15563791

Well I am glad I didn't go out and get a new card. Sheesh. I spent this last week building this HTPC with blu-ray, and I never would have guessed that something like this would bite me in the ass.

well look at it this way, using a regular BD deck would net you the same results. Your TV just doesn't support it over any of it's inputs expect VGA.

Compare VGA vs DVI->HDMI, if VGA looks better, use it. It's that simple.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/15563900

well look at it this way, using a regular BD deck would net you the same results.

Actually, I have been using my PS3 for blu-ray...but I do have some older HD-DVD's as well...so I got one of those combo drives...thought it would be total solution. Now look at me.

Why would a regular Blu-ray deck not work?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since you have a NVidia card you can try the "reduced CVT blanking" option. It worked for me (8500GT and Magnavox 42" 1080p LCD).

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvenking /forum/post/15563931

Actually, I have been using my PS3 for blu-ray...but I do have some older HD-DVD's as well...so I got one of those combo drives...thought it would be total solution. Now look at me.

Why would a regular Blu-ray deck not work?

well your TV takes 1080i/p HDMI input and overscans it.

A PC source is no different than the PS3 source or another standalone source.

IF you can find a BD that has a resolution pattern on it and play it back on the PS3 an note wher the pattern clips then play it back on the PC connected via HDMI you'll see that it clips in exactly the same location.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have you tried powerstrip, with a custom resolution? It won't be 1920x1080, something just a tad smaller, but wouldn't that give something close to 1:1? I have a 720p that I have to set to 1200x666. The TV still sees it as 720p, but it actually fits on the screen. 1280x720 puts my start bar below the bottom of the tv, and my computer above the top.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/15564043

well your TV takes 1080i/p HDMI input and overscans it.

A PC source is no different than the PS3 source or another standalone source.

IF you can find a BD that has a resolution pattern on it and play it back on the PS3 an note wher the pattern clips then play it back on the PC connected via HDMI you'll see that it clips in exactly the same location.

Okay...so if the manufacturers know that they are going to crop an HDMI signal...why the heck are they doing it. Does anyone know if there is a way to enter the sets Maintenance mode and change this?? This is universally stupid.

Other than that...can I use an app to stratch the desktop to fit?

I will look at this powerstrip application.

At this point....I basically want to know my best workaround. What have others been able to do with a 6800GT and LN-S4096D combination.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I find it hard to believe that right in the nVidia Control Panel...that they would not have a desktop stretcher.

At any rate....I might like to use the VGA...however I do notice artifacts (ghosting) and such when I use it. Is there a way to best protect this signal as its making its way to my LCD?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvenking /forum/post/15564850

I find it hard to believe that right in the nVidia Control Panel...that they would not have a desktop stretcher.

At any rate....I might like to use the VGA...however I do notice artifacts (ghosting) and such when I use it. Is there a way to best protect this signal as its making its way to my LCD?

desktop stretcher? You can reduce the size of your desktop to fit on the LCD, it will still be oversampled (because they are cropping to something like 1776x1000 and the resizing that to 1920x1080).

They have figured this out, my Toshiba has native mode, my brothers sharp has dot-by-dot and I'm sure newer samsungs have this figured out too. In fact you may try contacting samsung about a new firmware.

As far as ghosting over VGA best bet is to get a solid quality vga cable, monoprice.com has good vga cables for cheap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay....this appears to be a thread solving my issue!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...post10278926

(Post #2044)

Apparantly...there has been a firmware release for my set that adds a feature called 'JustScan' to the HDMI input options. It sets that specific imput for 0% overscan...for the win!

Going to try this tonight and I will let you all know how it goes. Looks like I might be singing soon.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvenking /forum/post/15564715

Okay...so if the manufacturers know that they are going to crop an HDMI signal...why the heck are they doing it. Does anyone know if there is a way to enter the sets Maintenance mode and change this?? This is universally stupid.

Overscanning of a TV signal is the correct way to do it. TV's overscan, it's what they do - the image goes all the way under the edges of the bezel, and the outer edges of the image are not visible. Many TV images actually have some noise at the edges of the image (top or right is typical), and if overscan wasn't done, those noisy parts of the image would be visible and customers would be like "WTF? My set is broken!"

Every TV does overscan. Only computer monitors have the expectation that you are not overscanning. Since the TV manufacturer is primarily building a TV, and not a PC monitor, their priority is to make it overscan like all TV's do, and then only if they are marketing to some wierd group of users who wants to use a TV as a computer monitor do they provide a way to disable overscan.

--Don

1 - 15 of 15 Posts