AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the talk of DVI, I was wondering if I should invest in a DVI to RGB Converter. The only one I have found so far is the Extron DVI-RGB 100. I really don't feel like replacing my Pioneer Elite any time soon (I love this set :D ), but I fear that I won't have a choice once all the new STBs come out. You just know they are going to add some "undocumented features" to the analog outputs just in case the MPAA successfully rapes us. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
The idea is fine, but in practice it will not help you. The issue is not necessarily just DVI, but the encoding or copy protection systems that will be employed. Thus, converting DVI to analog will not let you to continue to use your Elite, as the video will not be watch able due to being encrypted by the program owners, if they so desire.

And I believe current law has it illegal to make an outboard device that both decodes the encoded video and converts from DVI to analog. This is the problem, at least for most non-OTA sources.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H

And I believe current law has it illegal to make an outboard device that both decodes the encoded video and converts from DVI to analog. This is the problem, at least for most non-OTA sources.
It's not against the law but in order to get the decryption keys you must be licensed under HDCP. A condition of that license is not to make such a device. So it's really a contractural issue, not a legal one.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
It would be illegal in the sense that the DMCA laws prevent anyone from using a device that circumvents encryption.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kf6bbl
It would be illegal in the sense that the DMCA laws prevent anyone from using a device that circumvents encryption.
Only if it circumvents encryption. A device could be made that passes un-encrypted DVI, such as is around today. Or a device could be made under license that blocks encrypted material. There is a mrket for such a device, not all satellite material will be encrypted. There is no issue with allowing analog output of non-encrypted material.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie

It's not against the law but in order to get the decryption keys you must be licensed under HDCP. A condition of that license is not to make such a device. So it's really a contractural issue, not a legal one.
Interesting point. If you break the license by spoofing a key, is it a criminal or just a licensing issue?

·
Registered
289 Posts
jdpg2: It's better to wait to see what comes out first before you start investing in any sort of convertor.

Even if our worst fears come true.....you always have the option of buying a "special convertor" off Ebay from someone in China. I don't condone these things...but my personal opinion is if they screw me, I have no qualms about screwing them :)

Dizzy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.