AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a DVI to RGBHV Converter from my HD+ to a Marquee 9500 Ultra and have found the following three. I want it to:

- remove the HDCP encryption

- handle 1080p

but apart from that I don't know what to look for to decide which one of them has best specs or fits my purpose best?? Can someone perhaps help explain?

Here are the three with links to them:

Dtrovision DVI to VGA Converter (DC-DA1)

( http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...ideo/DCDA1.ASP )

Gefen DVI to VGA Conversion Box (EXT-DVI-2-VGA) Converter
http://www.avlink.co.uk/detail.php?m_id=128

Spatz DVIHDCP DVI to VGA Converter HDCP Compatible

( http://www.spatz-tech.de/spatz/dvi_hdcp.htm )

Perhaps there are more to choose from?!

Many Thanks,

H

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I am very sure the Spatz and the Dtrovision are exactly the same box. The Gefen AFAIK is not HDCP compliant.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Just hooked up an Ophit - while it works, it isn't perfect. hooked to hd stb, so was able to compare the stbs rgbhv output to the DVI output, converted back to rgbhv. Unfortuneately, the DVI thru the Ophit was noticeably softer than the rgb straight to my pj from the hd box. Could it be the DVI out on my box? sure, but I am leaning to blaming it on the Ophit.

colors are nice, handles all res from my box just fine. maybe I'll hook the ohpit to my htpc this weekend, see how it handles that. Just don't like the loss of focus/softening effect. I already have a CRT to give me the "filmlike" look - this looks more like the later Doris Day movies, with the soft focus filters. :(

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Anybody try the Dtrovision? The Ophit is a non starter since I want to use a converter for 1080p. Yes I have a CRT.. BTW, the Digital Connection site says both the Dtrovision and the Ophit use DVI-D in, but the picture of he Ophit on the site shows a DVI-A connection.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I believe both converters support 1080p DVI input. The catch with the Dtrovision box converter is the current batch must need the included power adaptor. The old version works without the power adaptor.

The Ophit DVI-A is only for cable compability. I believe it only works with a DVI-D signal.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci
Ophit DDA

No, they are different. There are pictures of the Moonjong unit in another thread .
Moonjong converter/scaler is totally different to Dtrovision. It also has upscaling function (also a scaler) while the other are transcode native signal only.

I am using Moonjong DVI-RGBHV converter (SDI/DVI version) to transcode SD (DVD) 480i DVI ->Faroudja DVP1080 DVI (720p) output, then to convert into RGB to my 9" CRT. HOwever, it has one major weakness, it doesn't accept 1080p DVI input as Moonjong said with 1080p extra bandwidth u need dual processor to handle it which make the cost high. He may consider to use Realta chip for 1080p verison in future. So 1080p input is not working. Only 480i/p, 1080i & 720p DVI/SDI input.

However, it does can upscale 1080i/720p -> 1080p RGBHV no problem by its internal scaler. Therefore, I still use DVP1080 analog component input for HD 1080p RGB output.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi folks,

i'm a user of a NEC 9PG+ and DVDO ISCAN HD+

I'm very interrested in a dvi to vga converter because my NEC has no dvi input (like all the others)

Which one to choose?

Ophit or Dtrovision ?

My question re the Dtrovision is whether it softens the image at 1080p as the Ophit reportedly does?

Thx a lot

Best Regards

Martin

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelyw
Moonjong converter/scaler is totally different to Dtrovision. It also has upscaling function (also a scaler) while the other are transcode native signal only.

I am using Moonjong DVI-RGBHV converter (SDI/DVI version) to transcode SD (DVD) 480i DVI ->Faroudja DVP1080 DVI (720p) output, then to convert into RGB to my 9" CRT. HOwever, it has one major weakness, it doesn't accept 1080p DVI input as Moonjong said with 1080p extra bandwidth u need dual processor to handle it which make the cost high. He may consider to use Realta chip for 1080p verison in future. So 1080p input is not working. Only 480i/p, 1080i & 720p DVI/SDI input.

However, it does can upscale 1080i/720p -> 1080p RGBHV no problem by its internal scaler. Therefore, I still use DVP1080 analog component input for HD 1080p RGB output.
Mike:

Why are you transcoding DVI to RBG, why don't you just run RGB out of the Faroudja DVP 1080?

Lon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.