AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With new DVD players with DVI out in the market I have a question for gurus.

It´s possible to transform a DVI signal into SDI signal to use our SDI scalers or H3D with the new DVD players?

If it´s posible may be we´ll need only an electronic adaptor between DVD and Scaler.

Ideas.......

Nacho.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
it's a completely different protocol.

I suppose it's "possible" (not for SDI, as SDI is 480i which is unsupported by DVI - but HD-SDI), but I find it quite unlikely that such a device would be available. There might be high end devices like this, but they would be for the broadcasting industry and cost accordingly.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
The whole point of SDI out of a DVD player is to get the native video signal in digital form but more importantly UNPROCESSED. Any DVI output from a DVD player will have to go through some internal scaler as DVD is 480i and as stated above, DVI does not support 480i.

Even if such a device was available, and it could be built for non-HDCP material, you would still have a pre-scaled image from the DVD player's internal scaler. That may have done shoddy math to the stream that cannot be reversed. I.E., damage to the image that cannot be undone even by a good external scaler.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tought in the digital domain there´s no loosing information, no matter SDI or DVI, only 0s and 1s....I was wrong.

Nacho.

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Guys,

Actually there is such a device that was recently introduced by Miranda. It's called the DVI-Ramp. Not sure on the pricing though. Probably not worth it in the consumer HT market. You'd probaby just be better off getting a good SDI DVD player and be done with it.

One cool thing is that it will give you both an SD-SDI and an HD-SDI output, as well as an analog RGBHV output.

Here's a link:

http://miranda.com/product.php?i=235&l=1

·
Registered
513 Posts
One eventual problem with Miranda's DVI-Ramp is that is was made to translate video from a computer monitor meaning it doesn't support any copy protection schemes like HDCP. But I guess DVD players don't use HDCP, yet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi,

DVDPs with DVI out, like Marantz DV-8400/Esoteric DV-30, do have HDCP.

So, I don't think DVI-Ramp can work miracles with them.

I have an alternative idea in mind:-

- tap the 480p/1080i digital signal before the video DAC in my Philips 963 and convert it to HD-SDI output

- get a HD10C from Aja (or HD 10 DA from LMP) and mount it on the ceiling right next to my Barco Cine 7

- use very short (say 1/2 ft) component cables to link up HD10C with Barco to minimize signal loss (by replacing the existing 20' analog RGBHV cable).

Any thoughts?

Could I expect a significant improvement in PQ?

Is HD-SDI mod service available in the market?

^_^

AK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.