Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

i need some advice, i have a gateway Destination 27inch monitor with VGA input and my cable hd tuner box has a DVI output, is it possible to watch HD broadcast on my Gateway PC monitor using a DVI to VGA converter and if it is possible any suggestions for a brand name converter or any converter will do it? thanks in advance.

mofiz

·
Registered
382 Posts
Does the box also have component outputs? If so, pick up a component to vga transcoder at Audio Authority

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
mofiz, in all likelihood, the DVI output on your cable STB is not activated--there are tons of DVI-capable and Firewire-capable cable HD STBs in the field, but I don't think any cable op has activated the ports or has near term plans to do so. Before you investigate a DVI-to-VGA convertor solution, call your cable company and ask tech support if in fact the DVI port is active on your box or if it will ever be activated.

Gefen makes a DVI-to-VGA convertor box for $399, but it won't handle HDCP encrypted content (not an issue now, but could be down the road):

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1209

As noted, a component-to-VGA transcoder is a good alternate solution.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so when I check out ebay I see all this DVI to VGA converter for $4.95, are they not any good or wouldnt it help my cause? my whole reason for doing it is to save money but if I had to spend that much I would be better of buying another HD TV, is there any other solution to this, the monitor is just sitting in my basement so i thought i do it this way. thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
241 Posts
As far as I've heard, if you have DVI-I (don't ask me how you can tell), then all you need is a cheap converter, and it is far better than doing a component-vga converter. The DVI signal should contain more information, and thus in theory offer the better picture than component (that is of course open to debate by several, i have no personal insight)...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.