AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about upgrading to dvi-hdcp. This whole hdcp thing kinda has me worried. I have a toshiba 50h82 dvi-upgradeable rptv. According to toshiba's website "2002 H82 Wide Screen PTV models can be upgraded to an optional jack pack that includes a DVI input with HDCP for a true uncompressed digital video connection.". Will i be alright if i uprade this thing to hdcp, or will i still be missing out on stuff? Also, how do you go about getting this set upgraded?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by d4rr3n
I have a question about upgrading to dvi-hdcp. This whole hdcp thing kinda has me worried. I have a toshiba 50h82 dvi-upgradeable rptv. According to toshiba's website "2002 H82 Wide Screen PTV models can be upgraded to an optional jack pack that includes a DVI input with HDCP for a true uncompressed digital video connection.". Will i be alright if i uprade this thing to hdcp, or will i still be missing out on stuff? Also, how do you go about getting this set upgraded?
Very good question. I have a 65H82, and love it, but want to get it upgraded to DVI. Actually, just called Tosh this past week. I was told that the upgrade is not available yet. No ETA, no real committment.

If anyone knows differently, I would love to hear.

THANKS!

David

·
Registered
305 Posts
d4rr3n: Here is a quote from The Perfect Vision - Sept/Oct 2002 - page 20: " The big news is that these new TheaterWides are DVI upgradable. Sometime next year Toshiba will offer a new jackpack that will have DVI-1.0 with HDCP copy-protection or, if available on schedule, HDMI/HDCP. HDMI is backward compatible with DVI-1.0 sources and includes both audio and digital video on a single connector. The jack pack must be installed by an authorized servicer. The price has not been set, but Ramirez [Toshiba's VP of Marketing] said it would cost no more than $300 installed, which is the retail price difference of its new Cinema models over these new TheaterWide sets. Why offer a DVI/HDCP upgrade? Just in case the Hollywood mongrels, I mean moguls, try to shove down-rez'd HDTV analog outputs down our throats." Note the "...or, if available on schedule, HDMI/HDCP" part of this announcement. Toshiba has announced that their new integrated sets will have a HDMI/HDCP interface. I'll bet that the jackpack in these new integrated sets will be what is offered for your set this fall. Your lucky to have an upgradeable set. For, IMO, HDMI-DVI/HDCP will be a MUST-HAVE for 1080i/720p from the future HD-DVDs (Warner's are due as early as next spring). Dick. P.S. Disclaimer: I have recently been labeled as being a DVI troll; so you may want to take this post with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, i'm hoping this thing becomes available soon. I don't have anything that uses dvi right now but with the new 1080i dvd players coming out soon i'd really like to try it out. If i had known about the dvi thing i would've spent a little more for a model that had it like the hdx82. I sent an email to toshiba and here's what they said:

"Toshiba does not have a process for the DVI upgrade in place at this time. The DVI upgrade ability is an option that will be available in the future. No timeline has been announced."

I really hope they don't leave us out to dry.... :(

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by d4rr3n
Thanks for the info, i'm hoping this thing becomes available soon. I don't have anything that uses dvi right now but with the new 1080i dvd players coming out soon i'd really like to try it out. If i had known about the dvi thing i would've spent a little more for a model that had it like the hdx82. I sent an email to toshiba and here's what they said:

"Toshiba does not have a process for the DVI upgrade in place at this time. The DVI upgrade ability is an option that will be available in the future. No timeline has been announced."

I really hope they don't leave us out to dry.... :(
The reason that I'm interested in it ASAP, and it's subject to debate, is PQ. I've heard that DVI delivers a better picture than Component cables do, and it would then free up a component slot for a video game system.

David

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The DVI picture may or may not be dramatically better than component In the meantime, you can get an inexpensive switch box if you need to switch component.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.