Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been led to believe the following:

-- DVI and component (3 rca terminated cables) hookup between a cable

box (Comcast) and an LCD rptv produces the same pq.

-- DVI hookup between a progressive scan dvd player and an LCD rptv is

superior to component cable hookup

This seems inconsistent to me. Am I right or is the above correct and why?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
No way.

A DVI connected to a RPTV will be the same has a Good DVD Player going through Componet Video (like the older Panasonics or a new Denon 1600).

The DVI connection is a marketing trick. RPTVs still have to do the conversions.

Now if you have a LCD based or Plasma then Yes DVI is the only way to go.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
theob:

The best info on the benefits of DVI to various display technologies is embedded in the Widescreen Review of the Bravo D1 in this month's issue. I have a DLP RPTV and the DVI output from either my STB or my DVD to the DLP is far superior to component. A lot depends on what kind of RPTV you are talking about.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm still very new to this "field", referring to DVI and such, but what I have learned is that DVI for DVD will rival even the best analog component DVD players (and will usually beat them) because ANY DAC (digital to analog) conversion or vice-versa is a multi-step process allowing the introduction of artifacts. However, this is ONLY TRUE for entirely digital connections/pathways...that is, from the DVD disc all the way to the display on your projector, etc.

Now, I cannot speak for the LCD, but for DLP, where the connection remains DIGITAL from the DVI DVD player straight through to the TV's display (regardless of which scalar chip you use---the dvd's or the tv's), the difference is apparently VERY noticeable. I have heard this from enough DLP owners (particularly those with Samsung HLN DLP) that I just ordered a Bravo D1 to replace my Pioneer Elite DV-37.

I can also say for a fact that the Faroudja chip's handling of 480i to 480p BLOWS AWAY the DV-37's (once excellent) 480p and have thus switched my pioneer in the meantime to 480i so my HLN467W uses the Faroudja deinterlacer.

As I mentioned though, I have just ordered the Bravo D1 DVD player...while the D1 lacks in some areas, its PQ is supposedly substantially better on the HLN sets.

From what I understand, on sets where you still must go through an analog conversion....which I *THINK* includes LCD, but am not sure, you may not get the benefit of DVI. But on a DLP set, there is apparently a night and day difference...and I have seen enough postings to believe it, including the article in WSR (WideScreenReview.com).

Ross

·
Registered
908 Posts
theob,

The answer to your question depends upon what you are viewing the material on. I have a Sim2 300 Plus which I project onto a 100" 16:9 diagonal screen. I normally use RGB for my HDTV from my Zenith 520 and I use DVI from my Bravo D1. Since I am using the projector in it's native mode of 720p and drive it with the D1 at 720p, there is no A/D or D/A conversion required. The DVI output of the D1 (DVD) is definitely superior to DVD connected via Component from my RM91. I connected the Zenith 520 to the projector via DVI for a short period of time prior to the D1 arriving. I didn't have time to really evaluate it, but my initial reaction was that the PQ was superior with DVI. However, the outcome is going to be very dependent upon your particular setup. If you don't have to convert the video to analog in your setup, DVI should be superior.

Tom

·
Registered
183 Posts
theob:

"Big" improvement is a relative thing, but I've viewed DVDs and HD through DVI on my DLP RPTV and it looks better than component.

Component

Player/Receiver DLP/RPTV

D--------------->A--------------->D--------> (displayed) [technically A]

DVI

Player/Receiver DLP/RPTV

D---------------------------------------------->(displayed) [technically A]

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse.

·
Registered
305 Posts
How about plasma display? I just ordered a Panny 42PWD6UY which is an ED display. It doesn't come with a DVI connection but I can buy a card for about $150. Currently I don't have a DVD player, so I'm trying to figure out whether the PQ improvement difference of the DVI versus component connection on my ED display justifies the cost of getting the DVI card and a DVI equipped DVD player.

By the way, I've been told that for my ED display which has a native resolution of 480 that I should get a progressive scan DVD player that output 480 lines. How does that fit into the analysis?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... but I have a Panasonic PT-50LC13 which is hooked up to my Comcast HD box via component (i.e., 3 rca terminated cable) cables.

I was told that component hookup was not different in PQ versus dvdi on hdtv. But given the input here (and thanks all of you) I do have a dvi cable so I guess I should try it.

My information source also told me that I should get a progressive dvd player and hook it up via dvi in lieu of component hookup to get a better PQ. So I was confused by the inconsistency in advice about the hdtv / dvd player performance of the 2 hookup configurations (component / dvi).

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
See the DVI guide (my signature) for more on this topic.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
The DVI connection is a marketing trick. RPTVs still have to do the conversions.
What conversion are you talking about that the RPTV will be doing?

·
Registered
176 Posts
To many people have posted what I understand to be incorrect information.

A DVI is just a digital connection it is the processing, or lack thereof, on both ends that makes all of the difference.

Traditional component to CRT RPTV

(Double processing and 2 A-D conversions) Most artifacts

The DVD player reads the MPEG processes (and deinterlaces) the picture then converts the info from digital to analog to send to TV. The TV then converts back to digital to do its processing and scaling then converts it back to analog to send to the CRTs. (Most analog TVs still do their image manipulations in the digital domain.)

DVI to CRT RPTV

(Double processing and 1 A-D conversion) Cleaner

DVD player reads MPEG processes the image and sends to TV which processes/scales and then converts to analog to the CRTs

DVI to Digital display

(Single Processing and no conversion) Cleanest

DVD player reads the MPEG processes and sent to monitor for display.

There is still a theoretical advantage to DVI and analog set. Especially if your TV has a good D-A convertor.

My question is if you only have one DVI but multiple component inputs do you gain the most using the DVI with the dvd player or satellite box?

·
Registered
282 Posts
DJS...in that case, you would have to get a "splitter or equivalent", which costs an arm and a leg right now. Someone mentioned a company that starts with G or H that makes them, I think in the DVD thread I started a day or two ago that has keywords HD 931 (Samsung) and D1 (Bravo) or something like that...Gambit or something??? I do not remember. However, they are pricy! Apparently the main page leads you to one costing about $450, but someone said click on the HDTV page and you find one that is $250. That's as cheap as they are right now....otherwise you must choose or switch manually between your box and the DVD. I have no box, so for me it is not yet a problem.

Ross

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
"dvd player or satellite box?"

Think about it? What are you going to watch more?

DVDs or Sat and all the HDTV channels and all the upconverted SD channels.

Dishnetwork is planning upto 50 HD channels by this time next year.

By the end of the year they plan to have 10 Plus some Extended Def channels to compete with the new Voom Rainbow HD Sat due out in Oct.

Go with a Denon 1600 and DVI for your DIsh.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.