Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the skinny:

WinXp.

I have a MadDog 5200 AGP (128 MB). It has three connectors (DVI/VGA/SVIDEO) and I have three monitors: 2VGA, 1 DVI PJ(AE500). I have previously used a DVI-VGI dongle on the DVI port for the two monitors. And then when I wanted the PJ to get the picture, I manually switched the cable (PJ was VGA at the time). I just bought a 25 foot DVI cable and I'm trying to get away with something approximate to murder.

I also have a DVI-I-to-VGA&DVI-D Y-cable that is used to split the VGA(DVI-A) source from the DVI-I interface and put that out on VGA while retaining the DVI-D on a seperate cable. (Clear as mud?) I know that one of the ATI cards lets you use this and get a VGA and DVI signal from the DVI-I port at the same time. Not sure about my Mad Dog. (so that's question one)

Question two is: I can't even get DVI and VGA1 working (without the Y-cable)! It seems I can't get the TwinView option with DVI and VGA, only VGA and VGA. The only mode I can select with DVI and VGA that will work is the Horizontal Stretch (or whatever) that locks me into one 1280x480 desktop. Not what I was going for... Anyways... what am I doing wrong here? I'm currently downloading new drivers and hoping that might do something...

DVI-Less in Boulder,

Xhonzi

P.S. Anyone know which ATI that is that lets you use the y-cable that way?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am also interested in this cable as it makes possible ATI AIW mono DVI cards to become dual head!!!! I will be ordering it in a few days. The one output cards (only dvi-i out) are actually dual head cards ( usually all accept the dvi-VGA dongle) which means that they have onboard RAM-DAC chip which works even when in DVI-D mode! This Y cable works with only one drawback: you must manualy disconnect the EDID pin in the vga side as the card would be getting TWO EDIDs one from DVI-D and one from VGA! Do an internet search for the correct pin to diasble!

Now in order to get three monitors to work (1 DVI +2VGA) YOUR CARD SHOULD HAVE 2 RAMDACs which is card dependent. Usually one is present andboth vgas use the same RAMDAC and the edid pin should again be disconnected at least in one vga output...!!! Others if you use DVI-D disengage the DVI-I output so bye-bye Y cable...

Now another think to know: NOT ALL DUAL HEAD CARDS HAVE TWO RAMDACS.......SOME MANUFACTURES IN ORDER TO PRODUCE A CHEAP CARD OMMIT THE SECOND RAM DAC....

SO DUAL HEAD:YES BUT ONLY DVI-D+VGA NOT VGA+VGA Usually this is described in small letters...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I know there's a RAMDAC on that output since I've successfully done VGA + VGA. Now I've done DVI + VGA (EDID 2 on the PJ) and a reboot of my PC even allowed me to select DualView so each monitor is its own desktop and can have its own resolution. So... I'm getting closer.

Anyone know of a website detailing the removal of the VGA pin so that it's EDID-less?

The other thing, and this may be more of a question for the AE500 forum, is when I chose Clone instead of DualView, I get the 12801024 resolution on 16x9 PJ in a 4x3 box. That's expected... but when I go 1280x720, I get the 16x9 in the same 4x3 box. With the VGA cable, I could get 1:1 1280x720. Any idea on this one? I get 1:1 1280x720 with the DualView option...

Also, one last one, does the nVidia software allow me to choose the VGA/DVI-A out even if it detects the EDID from the DVI-D source? Can I assign that to a HotKey to switch between VGA monitor 2 and DVI PJ?

Thanks for eveyone's read and thanks Leonidas for your suggestions. I got my cable from e-bay for cheap. Have you found one yet?

A-little-DVI-in-Boulder,

Xhonzi

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:

I downloaded 77.77 drivers and now I can get 1:1 1280x720 in both DualView and Clone modes. Almost there!!!

Now, I searched for a couple hours for a site detailing the dual EDID thing on the y-cable. (removing the EDID pin on the VGA side...) Any help on this one?

Nearly DVI-full in Boulder,

Xhonzi

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah... Any word on the nVidia software over-riding the Digital EDID with the analogue one? Something I could assing to a hot-key?

Thanks,

Xhonzi

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump!

Still searching for an answer to this mysterious VGA EDID pin pull.

Any help?

Xhonzi

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump!

Still searching for an answer to this mysterious VGA EDID pin pull.

Any help?

Xhonzi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.