AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I digressed into a DVI vs Analog debate with myself as part of a response to another thread, but being slightly off topic in the thread, I wanted to repost here for better visibility.

I haven't seen the difference with DVI vs Analog with projectors. I have seen it with LCD monitors and the positive difference DVI makes is not subtle. I would think it would have more of an impact on a LCoS projector, since there's less screen door to distract you and the image is blown up very large.

Plus with DVI, you're limited to 1280x1024. Most people don't seem to mind throwing out the additional 80 pixels for a better quality picture and I'm with them with that. However, for DVD's 1440 x 960 is exactly 2x DVD's resolution and the CRT people say there is a noticeable absence of scaling artifacts scaling to exactly 2x. If you do that, and crop 80 pixels off of 1440, you're left with 1360 - JVC's native resolution (at a mod 8 boundary). So... it's either low scaling artifacts and slightly more resolution over a lossy analog transport OR greater scaling artifacts and slightly less resolution over a pristine lossless digital (DVI) transport. I wonder which one looks better?

·
Registered
13,196 Posts
I plan to spend more time comparing DVI and RGBHV on my JVC G150 but so far with three real quick comparisons using a Sony HD200 Receiver RGBHV has either won or tied with DVI.

On the surface RGBHV looked a little more detailed and smooth. Since the aspect ratios are different I can't compare apples to apples. And until I spend some quality time I won't really offer much of an opinion (maybe the Sony HD200 is generating the difference?).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.