AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me that they switched from component cables to dvi cables, and it was night and day.

I currently a Comcast HD customer. I have a Motorola box that has a DVI-D output. My tv is a Philips 60PP935217 and it has a HD15 input. I can't find a cable that has these two ends. I did find one that has component to HD15, but I don't know if that would make a difference in picture.

I'm just curious if these cables make that much of a difference. I don't know much about these cables. I've just done some research about what kind I would need if I decided to switch.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Stick with component, if you don't have a DVI or HDMI in, your TV can't accept a digital source and won't work with the DVI-D output on your STB.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
By and large, people who report a night and day difference between digital and analog inputs have not adjusted their TVs for the best picture on each input. People who have used a calibration DVD to adjust their sets have seen differences, but not huge ones.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadog98
Someone told me that they switched from component cables to dvi cables, and it was night and day.
It's called make-believe. It's called psychosis. It's called seeing what you want to see. The digital pathway with DVI or HDMI makes sense and may be slightly better in some situations. But night and day. No way.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G
It's called make-believe. It's called psychosis. It's called seeing what you want to see. The digital pathway with DVI or HDMI makes sense and may be slightly better in some situations. But night and day. No way.
Usually that night and day difference is to mentally justify the $120 they just dropped on a Monster cable at Best Buy.. :D

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
I, too, have Comcast Cable with a Motorola HD box. I've been using component cables, and decided to buy/try the $28 Philips DVI-DVI cable at Wal-Mart. I tried it, and noticed that the picture was subtly sharper, noticeable in things like hair and other fine objects. Not bad for $28.

(The second set of audio outputs on the Motorola box are reserved for future use (per the Website diagram/picture), so I cannot get sound from them (I wanted to A:B compare output 6 (Cable, with components) with output 7 (Cable, Digital/DVI), but could not get sound from output 7 (just using my TV for now; no receiver set up yet), only video.)

But ... there is no way to calibrate my DVI picture without being able to send an Avia DVD signal/picture to it, is there? I don't have an upconverting DVD player.

I think when I calibrated my Sony 50" GWII LCD with Avia, it calibrated both outputs 5 and 6 - i.e., both component outputs - so my cable TV and my DVD player are calibrated at the same optimum settings (I used umr's tweaks). (I'll have to check on this.)

Alas, the DVI cable may go back to Wal-Mart, until I buy an upconverting DVD player or a HD-DVD player.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss
I, too, have Comcast Cable with a Motorola HD box. I've been using component cables, and decided to buy/try the $28 Philips DVI-DVI cable at Wal-Mart. I tried it, and noticed that the picture was subtly sharper, noticeable in things like hair and other fine objects. Not bad for $28.

(The second set of audio outputs on the Motorola box are reserved for future use (per the Website diagram/picture), so I cannot get sound from them (I wanted to A:B compare output 6 (Cable, with components) with output 7 (Cable, Digital/DVI), but could not get sound from output 7 (just using my TV for now; no receiver set up yet), only video.)

But ... there is no way to calibrate my DVI picture without being able to send an Avia DVD signal/picture to it, is there? I don't have an upconverting DVD player.

I think when I calibrated my Sony 50" GWII LCD with Avia, it calibrated both outputs 5 and 6 - i.e., both component outputs - so my cable TV and my DVD player are calibrated at the same optimum settings (I used umr's tweaks). (I'll have to check on this.)

Alas, the DVI cable may go back to Wal-Mart, until I buy an upconverting DVD player or a HD-DVD player.
bump

·
Registered
50 Posts
Keep the DVI cable. You might need it for a upconverting DVD player someday.

In any case, a proper calibration considers both the source device and the specific input on the TV. If you calibrated the DVI with Avia using an upconverting DVD player, it might not be optimal for the DVI output from the Motorola HD box. Your best bet would be to adjust the DVI input for best PQ on the HD channels. Then compare to the component PQ and see which seems better.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i just got the 6200 box and my components are close to what dvi is, close enough where i keep my oppo to dvi and moto to components. that is with charter,now with dish the picture was far better with dvi,go figure(might be the analog channels, which on both cables suck compared to channels on dish.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fussy viewer

In any case, a proper calibration considers both the source device and the specific input on the TV. If you calibrated the DVI with Avia using an upconverting DVD player, it might not be optimal for the DVI output from the Motorola HD box. Your best bet would be to adjust the DVI input for best PQ on the HD channels. Then compare to the component PQ and see which seems better.
My experience was that HDMI to DVI to my NEC HT1000 projector from my SA8300 DVR produced a slightly better picture than component on STANDARD DEFINITION channels only. The High Def picture was indistinquishable and I preferred the calibrated component picture subjectively. I finally decided to disconnect the HDMI to DVI and stick with component and as Fussy Viewer says above, I'm saving the HDMI-DVI cable for an upconverting DVD player.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fussy viewer

Well, I calibrated my component inputs using the AVIA DVD via my DVD player, and that is how I view my Cable TV, regular and HD. I just assumed/hoped it would be optimal for both my DVD and my cable box.

I don't know how one can accurately calibrate an input except via a DVD with test and color patterns like AVIA, so there is no way to know what is "optimal" for the Motorola except by eyeballing it, is there? I guess I could go through the service menu screens for input 7 (digital/DVI) with some kind of HD image in "pause" mode, and adjust it for that, but that would still be subjective - i.e., I wouldn't have test patterns that I could measure my changes against to see how fine adjustments of gamma, color, etc., settings affect the picture. Now if only Comcast Cable had some "test pattern" channels..... :D

I can return the DVI to Wal-Mart and buy one later if/when I get an upconverting or HD DVD player.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Doesn't InHD offer test patterns every now and then, like HDNet?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819
Doesn't InHD offer test patterns every now and then, like HDNet?
I don't know. I've never seen them. However, I'd need more than color bars - I'd need the black and white AVIA screens that display gray scale, gamma, white crush, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.