AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently calibrated my Z2 with DVE on DVI and I love the picture. I still can't get Green and Red exactly right but they look pretty good.

I tried component and to my dismay I can't see the third black bar on DVE's pluge pattern. On the THX optimizer I can't see a difference between any of the boxes on the contrast adjustment. I am unhappy with the picture over component and I am wondering if it is due to my player.

Bravo D1 over DVI is stunning.

Bravo D1 over component is horrible.

Would I see better results if I bought a progressive scan DVD player so that I can better calibrate the z2?

I only use component on my D* receiver and I can't get the picture right. I can't afford a DVI switcher at the moment and the DVI cable that I am using with the bravo is DVI-I which won't work with the Hughes HTL-HD (DVI-D) I'm currently looking for a local store that sells a DVI-I female/DVI-D male adaptor so that I can switch the cable from one device to another.

Has anybody been able to properly calibrate over component?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Randy,

I had been using an old Panasonic A7 through component and had the Z2 looking quite good. I just received my D1 a couple weeks ago and am still trying to get the colors/VB to look as good on component. The picture is better from the D1 don't get me wrong, I just haven't put the time in that I did with the component input. I haven't tried the D1's comonent but the majority of reports indicate that it is terrible so I haven't tried it. Good luck, I have mine looking very good over component so it is possible!!

Al

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. If I can't find an adaptor today I am going to buy a progressive scan dvd player just so that I can calibrate the component input today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mplumpe
The D1 is widely reported to have very low quality component outputs. The D2 is supposed to be better in this area.

Mike

Curious. Why would you want to use both component AND dvi outputs from the D1? I just bought the HD931 and use the dvi direct to my z2 for dvds and component direct to Z2 for digital cable. I'm no longer using my receiver for video at all.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By receiver I mean Satellite receiver.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Randy,

You seem to be indicating that you want to use your DVD player to calibrate the component input that you plan to use with your satellite receiver. I cannot tell you why technically, but I can tell you from experience that this will not work. Your satellite receiver will output color differently than the component output from your DVD player. It would be great if the satellite and cable providers would supply a calibration signal so you could accomplish what you are desiring. But it rarely happens.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.