Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Mitsubishi 65615 65" HD RPTV and Cox Cable's Motorola 6412 DVR. I'm curious if either the Firewire or DVI ports would yield me a sharper image over the component connection I use now. My Mits came with only one HDMI input, and I'm using that for my DVD player, Samsung's HD850 upconverting unit. The component video already looks very sharp on any digital channel. The analogs.......well, that's another story.

I'm wondering if it's even worth the money for a 8-10' Firewire cable to try it out.

Thanks,

Ronbo

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Does the Mits support firewire for STB input, or only for D-VHS VCR input? A number of brands (e.g. Pioneer, Sharp, etc.) have this limitation, making firewire connection of the 6412 to the HDTV unusable.

Also, remember that the 6412 does not put out its onscreen graphics, Guide, Menu, etc., on the firewire connection. That is for pure content data only, untouched and pristine. So even if your Mits allows input from the 6412 via firewire, you will still need the component video connection path in order to see any of the onscreen graphics from the 6412. So you'd have to switch back and forth between firewire (for presumably improved picture quality) and component when you needed to control the 6412. So you wouldn't be able to disconnect the component video connection.

On the other hand, the 6412 DOES put out its onscreen graphics on the DVI output path. So if you were to utilize a DVI-to-HDMI connection from 6412 to Mits, you'd now get (presumably) improved picture plus full onscreen graphics capability, allowing you to disconnect the component video cables. Of course you'd still need to connect the L/R audio output of the 6412 to audio inputs on the Mits (unless you're sending digital audio from the 6412 to a receiver, in which case the analog audio output from the 6412 is irrelevant).

So you're left with a choice, between [presumably] better picture quality from the 6412 using DVI instead of component video to the Mits, vs. upconverted 480p from your DVD player to the Mits via HDMI (remember it was just 480p data to begin with, not true HD as is the case from your 6412), since you only have one HDMI input to play with. Up to you... which do you use more? Where is the most visual improvement result using digital video input?

Finally, if you wanted BOTH you could solve the problem with a DVI/HDMI switch. Not necessarily cheap, but the perfect solution I would think.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo422
I'm curious if either the Firewire or DVI ports would yield me a sharper image over the component connection I use now.
Your RPTV uses CRT technology, thus you can expect there to be a certain number of conversions between digital and analog and vice versa. When this is the case, few forum members have reported any noticable improvement in picture quality using a digital (HDMI or DVI) link.

The main reason for using the DVI link is to put into place a path for copy protected HD material to travel.

The recently announced introduction of the Toshiba HD-DVD player with its downrezed components output is the first sign that sooner or later, all transmited copy protected HD content will only reach your TV in high rez if it is carried over the HDMI/DVI link.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like it would me a moot point to buy a firewire cable to test this out.....especially since we like Cox's interactive guide.

I did, however, split the signal off to one of my antenna inputs....to see how much better the analog channels looked compared to the after-the-box picture, and there is a difference. They aren't anywhere near the digital ones but better than the fuzzy, snowy crap that comes out from the 6412. It's funny though. The snow dies down around ch 45 or so....and completely unnoticable by the 50's.

Thanks again for your inputs on this.

~Ronbo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.