AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain the difference or is it the same thing. I read the FAQ regarding HDCP, but I am still unclear. If a set has DVI are you ok or do you need HDCP in addition?

·
23,032 Posts
Simply put, HDCP is an encryption scheme that runs over a DVI connection.

DVI carries the data, HDCP is encrypted data. A DVI-only receiver

works just fine as long as the transmitting side does not try to use HDCP.

larry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the plasmas I am considering is the Samsung HPN5039. It says it has DVI and is a HDTV. So does that mean that it is compatible with HDCP?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Ok, I lied, not everyone seems to have the decency to list an extra word on their specs. Samsung has virtually gone completely out of their way to avoid any simple language to communicate this. It is not even stated in the Operators Manual either. But it is stated on the brochure for the SPN-4035 (ED) model as DVi-HDTV (see at samsungusa.com).

Unbelievable! But word has it that it is HDCP compliant, read here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...cp#post2523189

Manual may be downloaded at Samsungs main site (not the samsungusa.com site).

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
DVI was around before HDCP. So, you see a lot of computer monitors with DVI, as a way (primarily) of getting a digital signal from a graphics card with DVI out to the monitor, without any sort of analog messiness.

The Powers That Be decided that having a pure digital signal out in the open like that would Not Be Good for potential piracy of their content. The solution is HDCP, which adds a copy protection layer to the digital signal. DVI/HDCP is shorthand for "digital signal with HDCP copy protection transported on a DVI port." HDCP is an encryption-based copy protection scheme.

Now, in theory, you should be able to do HDCP on other types of digital connections, but it hasn't been done yet (although HDMI will, although HDMI is really just DVI plus an audio stream).

Further, there are older plasmas and other devices that do DVI without any sort of providing for HDCP. Most computer monitors and graphics cards do DVI, for instance, without HDCP.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm defininately not an expert on this subject, but from the outside looking in it seems to me that HDCP is somewhat of a confused user/industry relationship.

If consumers didn't buy HDCP sets, other manufacturers would stop plans to put it in. And I'm guessing the electronics industry is watching how well they'll sell. Many customers, on the other hand, probably believe HDCP is going to be the standard in the next few years, so many customers get products with that feature (after the hdcp tv get a hdcp dvd player, etc). So I think customers are going to be the ones who make the HDCP decision for manufacturers. Again, this is my view from the outside looking in, as I own 0 dvi, hdcp, lcds or plasmas.

Sean

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Virtually every single >>>consumer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.