AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally gotten around to A/B'ing DVI vs. RGB output. I am using a Radeon 9700 Pro on a Fujitsu 50" Plasma. The Radeon has RGB and DVI outputs, and comparing the two is as easy as switching inputs on the Plasma (Radeon in theater cloning mode for dual display). I used The Fifth Element DVD (Superbit) on Zoomplayer with Ffdshow (resize sharpening), and calibrated both inputs using VE. Both inputs were set for 1:1 pixel mapping.

The advantage, as I suspected, went to the DVI output. The PQ was sharper with a broader contrast ratio. The differences were noticeable, but the two were still very close.

However, there were a couple of areas where RGB clearly won:

1. Text - the DVI input had text that was much more "smeary", the RGB was nice and crisp.

2. Overscan - For some reason, DVI had serious horizontal overscan. And being digital, I can only adjust the position, not the size.

I am not sure if the text issue is Plasma related, but I suspect that it would apply to all monitor types.

As it stands, I would definitely use the DVI input for watching DVD's, but would have to switch to RGB for web surfing, etc.

Any thoughts? Is this a fair and normal observation?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.