AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned this machine less than a year and I really like it. However I just found out that a video DVD from this deck will NOT play in Windows Media Player. It will play using DVD Player s/ware like Cyberlink Power DVD and also plays fine on DVD players.

Whereas DVD's created on my much cheaper Toshiba (no HDD) play fine in WMP. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

The only other issue I have is that after burning a DVD you must create a menu and the menu options have 3 or more buttons. So if you create a single title then you have a menu with empty buttons!

BTW I don't record off air. I mainly use the equipment for dubbing and tape to DVD transfers/conversions etc.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Like Microsoft so often implies, "its not a bug- its a feature". WMP is a gigantic pain, nearly as annoying as IE, because it has so many bugs yet is relied on by so many people who don't know it can be replaced with better. DVDs made on DVD recorders have a somewhat fiunky file structure compared to commercial pressed DVDs or "cloned" copies of them, so discs made on your recorder may give you trouble in Windows. Oddly enough, I've heard more compatibility complaints about the new Toshibas than the Pioneers, which just goes to show its all random. I find my recorder DVDs that don't play in WMP play just fine on Macs running Apples DVD player, or on Windows using alternative players, so I just do that.

Regarding the Pioneer authoring system, you're kinda stuck with it. While having the two extra blank buttons in the shortest menu option can be annoying, its not nearly as gross or "amateur-hour" as the Toshiba, Magnavox or Phillips recorders that insist on titling leftover disc space as "Empty Title": yucch. I find I use the triple-button blue, six button blue and six button black menus most often: they're plain and most people I lend my discs to like them (the other three menu options are pretty ugly or hard to read). My only beef with Pioneer disc finalizing is they're the only recorders that don't create auto-run menu screens: if I give one of my Pioneer-burned discs to someone else, I always have to tell them to hit the menu button on their remote or the disc will just sit there doing nothing. Very strange engineering choice on Pioneers part.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear /forum/post/18281679

My only beef with Pioneer disc finalizing is they're the only recorders that don't create auto-run menu screens: if I give one of my Pioneer-burned discs to someone else, I always have to tell them to hit the menu button on their remote or the disc will just sit there doing nothing. Very strange engineering choice on Pioneers part.

Everybody says that, so I guess that is the norm. But, My Pio-made finalized -R discs auto start in my Oppo 980. I just played Pickup On South Street a couple of nights ago...

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Yes, it seems the answer to every DVD playing question is "get an Oppo", kind of like how the answer to every recorder wish list is "get a Toshiba XS". At least the Oppos are still in current production and available to buy!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnee /forum/post/18279785

I've owned this machine less than a year and I really like it. However I just found out that a video DVD from this deck will NOT play in Windows Media Player. It will play using DVD Player s/ware like Cyberlink Power DVD and also plays fine on DVD players.

Whereas DVD's created on my much cheaper Toshiba (no HDD) play fine in WMP. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Based on your mention of Toshiba playing DVDs with WMP, I tried a DVD recorded and dubbed in my Mag 2160, also a Funai-built machine.

Previously, I also couldn't play DVDs with WMP 11, so I had hopes it would work for a Funai-created +VR DVD. On 1st try, still a no-go, as before.

HOWEVER, a message appeared saying I may want to change my display settings (or some such). I went to the Display Control Panel and reduced my Settings > Color quality from Highest (32 bit) to Medium (16 bit) and the DVD played right away.

Only thing is I couldn't find a setting to play back as 16:9, which is the format it was shot in with a 2009 Sony HD camcorder. WinDVD played it back in 16:9 aspect.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear /forum/post/18286057

At least the Oppos are still in current production and available to buy!

Unfortunately they aren't, at least a DVD only player. Oppo now only makes 2 BR players, the BDP-80 for $289 and be-all BDP-83. I'm looking for a used Oppo DVD player now, I was too slow to get a new one(and probably too cheap
)

Actually I just tried your 460 sample recordings disc in my Sony 700 DVD player and Sony 560 BR player(that I'm trying out but will return soon) and on both if I pushed PLAY(from an open tray) your disc would start up with the first title The Cobert report. Of course if I don't push PLAY but just close the tray they just sit with no menu, until I push MENU or PLAY.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts