AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this can be connected to a pc to do editing, and copying over? If so this will be an amazing product. Does anyoen have the Japanese model and connected it to a pc yet?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello.

The Japanese manuals of both the DVR-7000 and its predecessor the 2000 claim the FireWire port can NOT be used to connect to a PC, nor a DV deck, only a DV cam.

However, i've had buyers report it worked. Consider it as undocumented, but feasible.

Best wishes,

Nicolas

http://www.ebaystores.com/id=12753418

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know what type of usablitiy you have with this? Can I use something like Adobe Premiere to copy a home movie from my pc onto it? Also are there good translated manuals out there? I am thinking about getting an import since it looks like getting an import will cheaper then getting an american model when they first come out.

It would be really nice if I could plug this unit into my pc, and have it treat it like an external CD-Burner gets treated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Chap,

The report i received was specifically from a user with Adobe Premiere 6.0 . At first they asked me to contact Pioneer Japan for drivers, Pioneer did not have any of course. But later they found another way.

I myself fully translated a 7000 manual, and i know of at least two other versions. The manual is necessary in very early stages, but soon you don't need it anymore, only for reference once in a while.

Nicolas

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Nicolas-

I'm going to speculate an idea-

I, too have discussed this issue with a rep from Pioneer and I was told that the format of video recognized with the Pioneer 1394 is DV. Now if you had a way to generate native DV video in the computer that has a firewire output card, why wouldn't you be able to use this as a source for the DRV-7000? I have software here that does create native DV in it's rendering output. I have recorded these files to DVCAM as that is what it is designed to do. The Pioneer rep claimed that the Pioneer will recognize native DV video over the 1394 firewire. And for those interested, the software I use is from FAST- called Fast Studio DVv3.0. It is designed to read and write native DV. Take any video or other media and import it to FSDV and then simply render the composite file and output this to the firewire card connected to the DVR-7000 as opposed to the DVCAM recorder.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Don,

Basically i think you are right. The strange thing is that Pioneer also pretends the FireWire plug cannot be used to connect to a DV deck, only a DV cam. Why would that be ?

Nicolas

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
IOf I had to guess why they would say that it is because many of the decks and computers have 6 prong 1394 connectors and the camcorders have 4. Should be able to use a 6X4 adapter cable. I use them here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.