AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently picked up a Pioneer Elite DVR-7000 DVD recorder. It's quite a high quality unit with lots of nice features. The MPEG encoder is pretty good, although I need to find the best settings for fast motion.

I know recording DVDs with a DVD recorder is a no-no, but I'm testing the limits in the interest of research. I have our wedding DVD that I've been playing with. I tried recording DVD to DVD-RW and the DVR-7000 states "This source is copy protected." OK, maybe the little DVD production studio added Macrovision. I then tried recording the DVD to an S-VHS tape deck and it recorded just fine with no chroma wiggle. OK, no Macrovision. For grins, I then tried recording the tape back to DVD-RW and again got "This source is copy protected."

So, how does the Pioneer DVD recorder determine that the source (even two generations back) is copy protected? What kind of non-Macrovision copy protection is being used? I know there are headers in the DVD that define copy protection, but can they survive a trip through a S-VHS tape recorder?

Thanks for helping advance my research in the black arts. Again, I'm not trying to copy Hollywood DVDs. I just hate unsolved mysteries.

- Dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would be amazed that any small shop would pay the royalties for copy protection. Wonder if it is another issue.

jb

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
It is called CGMS A. It stands for Copy Generation Management System Analog. This signal is usually on line 21 of Vertical Blanking Interval. This line is also used for Closed Caption so all Macrovision busters leave it in tact. To strip it you need Time Base Corrector.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
If you have recorded it to S-Vhs there is no Macrovision or CSS (Content Scramble System) to deal with I would go with the previous responder and look for something else. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys! It would seem that CGMS-A is the culprit. Pretty clever stuff.

It seems a shame that I can make DVDs of my friend's wedding sourced on plain old-fashioned VHS, but can't make copies of my own. I'm sure the original videographer wouldn't mind me ordering extra copies at a premium, assuming he still has the original video stream around.

Thanks again!

- Dave

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I don't know if this will work for the new Pioneer, but try contacting this guy for any updates. The box will allow you to copy DVDs and VHS tapes with DIGITAL recorders. It gets around Macrovision and CGMS...

http://home.cfl.rr.com/filter/How%20To%20Get%20One.htm

·
Registered
24 Posts
While well covered in previous threads, many (but not all) Apex models (notably the famous AD-1500) when hacked not only removes Macrovision but also CGMS-A. While I would recommend that you research those threads and/or the Apex hacking forums, I can assure you that my $69 Apex Ad-1500 copies any DVD nicely (or nicely enough considering the reencoding) to my Panasonic DMR-E30. It's a nice tool to have around and certainly better than a tbc or box elimination. You might also consider using your PC to rip the dvd and reburn it there - assuming you have a DVD-R.

Matt

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just had a positive E-MAil in regards to the Video Filter working with the pioneer 7000. Here is most of it:

"The reason I wanted to route the VCR thru the filter is that I have DVD's dubbed to SVHS tape (via SIMA) collection, which the Pioneer would not accept because altho' Macrovision is "corrected" by the SIMA, it still finds the CGMS signal.

And lo and behold it works! Problem of course is that I would rather route the VCR through the S video for quality purposes, but I guess I'd have to buy a second filter to do that.

So the answer to your question, as you can see from the VCR routing, is that you don't need the SIMA in the loop for the Pioneer DVR 7000, altho' for ultimate quality control, this would be ideal.

To be sure, I also went direct DVD > filter > Pioneer, seemed to work OK.

Now, a question. A friend of mine wants to buy the JVC D-VHS machine, the JVC HM-DH30000U , do you know if the filter has been tried with it? He likes this machine, altho' I hate tape technology, for its sole ability to record high definition signals, unlike any current DVD technology.

Thanks and keep up the good work"

Hiro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.