AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, I've done numerous internet searches on this subject. Is there any consensus about there being a DVD add on for PS3?

·
Registered
411 Posts
well the ps3 already plays dvds, but as far as dvr ive only heard rumors and speculation.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
It's called PlayTV and has been available in Europe since Sept. 2008. It will probably never make it stateside due to incompatibility.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think there is a very, very small possibility of them releasing a dvr add on. But if they do it'll be after the February switch to ATSC.

Personally I think they won't do it since it might compromise the sales of TV shows on the PS Store, which if I'm not mistaken hasn't made it's way to Europe yet.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
the one for the PS3 in Europe uses their DVB standard. We don't have that in the US.

For a PS3 DVR (that does anything beyond analog TV or open ATSC or ClearQAM), a device with a CableCARD slot would need to be used. Such a thing would be expensive, and with the lowest-common-denominator storage space of 40GB, such a DVR would be useless for HD content, which uses 6GB/hr.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/15588712

the one for the PS3 in Europe uses their DVB standard. We don't have that in the US.

For a PS3 DVR (that does anything beyond analog TV or open ATSC or ClearQAM), a device with a CableCARD slot would need to be used. Such a thing would be expensive, and with the lowest-common-denominator storage space of 40GB, such a DVR would be useless for HD content, which uses 6GB/hr.

Which is why the PS3 can easily be upgraded or use an external HDD. Sony doesn't care if people don't have enough space that's there problem. And if someone is spending that kind of money on a dvr attachment they will most likely have the sense to get a bigger HDD>

·
Registered
321 Posts
At this point the PS3 hard drive is too small for a suitable DVR. And if you're going to go through the hassle of replacing it you might as well just get a DVR from your cable company.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUIDWARD360 /forum/post/15590370

At this point the PS3 hard drive is too small for a suitable DVR. And if you're going to go through the hassle of replacing it you might as well just get a DVR from your cable company.

Yeah except I like the minority don't have cable or satellite and would gladly welcome this kind of accessory.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion47 /forum/post/15590435

Yeah except I like the minority don't have cable or satellite and would gladly welcome this kind of accessory.

Seconded

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion47 /forum/post/15590435

without cableCARD or satellite support, such a device would have a limited market and wouldn't be worth the $$ to develop or release.

Then, there's the fact you'd have to pay Sony for the guide updates, which would more than likely cost more than Tivo knowing Sony. And, of course, they'd DRM the content, even though content via ATSC need not be DRMd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts