AVS Forum banner

Do you move DVR+ recordings to a computer (multiple choices allowed)

• Yes, Windows

Votes: 50 50.5%
  • Yes, Linux

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • Yes, Mac

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Yes, Other OS

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 36.4%
581 - 599 of 599 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
I tried a different approach as well. I renamed a different .TS file to be the same StrmXXXX file name that was already on the HD and it read the file just fine. It even updated the Length attribute in the list, but the Name and Date field stayed the same as per the original StrmXXXX file.

I can manually change the name of the file in the DVR, but it would take forever to do this for every file that I wanted to put on the DVR+ HD. t would be great if I could use this approach and be able to bulk modify the Name data with a Keyboard on my PC instead of hunt and peck on the DVR+.
Did you play that file completely! I can see the DVR+ listing the recording, and even updating the Length, but the data files just don't match, so something has to mess up. But that's interesting.

Yeah, manually changing stuff is too time consuming, not to mention confusing after a dozen files!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #583
So ? Was that Lister+ error at line 574 just a bug in its old version ?
As I recall, yes, although I don't remember exactly what, other that it was with the incorrect number of indices in an array. Why it got the array size wrong I think was caused by certain character in the REI data... Oh, yeah! The pipe character (vertical bar | ) was being used by DVR+ Lister as the delimiter to split a string into an array, and that character happens to occasionally be in the REI data. That bug was squashed!:)

If you're looking at the source code, the bug was not at line 574, but occurred because of data in one of the 547 processed recordings (or maybe it was on the 547th recording, I don't remember which).

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you're looking at the source code, the bug was not at line 574, but occurred because of data in one of the 574 processed recordings (or maybe it was on the 574th recording, I don't remember which).
Probably the 574th recording because I had many more recordings on the DVR+ HD than 574. I'm just happy the newer version of software fixed that issue. I'm surprised I never ran into that error before now....as I said I had been using that version of DVR+ Lister for at least a year and maybe two without any incidents.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #585
... I'm surprised I never ran into that error before now....as I said I had been using that version of DVR+ Lister for at least a year and maybe two without any incidents.
Yeah, the problem character is quite infrequent. I think this bug was reported only once or twice way back then, and anyone on version 15.7.3.1 avoided the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know that I am WAY late to the game but better late than never. I'm trying to download Lister to watch some recordings from DVR+ external harddrive but...
tinyupload says the "file was deleted from server" and...
it looks like I have to pay to download one file from Sabercat, which I'm not going to do for one free opensource zip.
Is there another file source that hosts the Lister zip files? thanks

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
I know that I am WAY late to the game but better late than never. I'm trying to download Lister to watch some recordings from DVR+ external harddrive but...
tinyupload says the "file was deleted from server" and...
it looks like I have to pay to download one file from Sabercat, which I'm not going to do for one free opensource zip.
Is there another file source that hosts the Lister zip files? thanks
Welcome!

Yes, at the top of post 1 of this thread, there is a link to version DVR+ Lister 15.7.3.1. It will bring you to post 438. There are 5 attachments in that post, which are spanned zip files. You need all 5 files and, after downloading, you have to remove the fake .zip extension on 4 of those files (z01 thru z04) in order to extract the files (read the instruction above the attached files).

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have trouble, give us a shout!
I downloaded the 5 files. took ".zip" off of the four extension files. extracted DVR+ Lister zip file and got "DVR+Lister.exe" When I open the executable file, pop-up says it is not compatible for the Windows version on my computer. I suppose that this Lister does not work on windows 10. I do have an old laptop in the garage that has Windows 7 but that kind of defeats the point of doing all this. Any suggestions other than get a different version of Windows?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
it's create old environment for the executable, mimic to old version of Windows
try it and tell us a result; perhaps it will answer to all your future question right away

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #595 (Edited)
I downloaded the 5 files. took ".zip" off of the four extension files. extracted DVR+ Lister zip file and got "DVR+Lister.exe" When I open the executable file, pop-up says it is not compatible for the Windows version on my computer. I suppose that this Lister does not work on windows 10. I do have an old laptop in the garage that has Windows 7 but that kind of defeats the point of doing all this. Any suggestions other than get a different version of Windows?
Hmmm... I believe that's a new one on me since DVR+ Lister works fine in Windows 10 (that's what I'm running), and it does not have to run in "Compatibility Mode". But, like P Smith suggests, you can try a Compatibility Mode, perhaps Win 7 or 8, although I don't think that's the issue. It's got me puzzled.

I just downloaded the 5 files, extracted into a new folder, and that copy of DVR+ Lister.exe ran without issue. My Windows 10 Home has all of the updates, and DVR+ Lister has run in all versions updates of Windows 10 Home, so I don't see the particular Windows 10 version as the issue.

I'll keep thinking about it. Does anybody else have an idea?

·
Registered
1080i CRT TV, old Blu-ray, basic surround system
281 Posts
I'm not sure I've clicked the right button to post this, but here goes...

I've been with Linux (Ubuntu 20.04) exclusively for some time now, and I've succeeded in installing the Lister under Wine/PlayOnLinux. It seems to work well. I got Lister to copy DVR files to my computer's HDD, complete w/ show title, date and first part of the description; so it works well to that extent, at least.

So far, I've seen no evidence of the color coding in the list of recordings, but one can probably get by without it. Not sure how to set up a converter for Lister to use. I still don't know where to look for the equivalent of an .EXE file, or certain Windows folders. If I knew exactly where to find the ffmpeg executable, or HandBrake (both of which I have installed), that might just do the trick. In any case, I can always convert the videos after copying.

In brief, the DVR+ Lister works under Linux -- does for me, anyway. Happy listing!

EDIT: I might also mention that you don't need Ext2Fsd to use w/ Lister when your system is already a Linux-based one, such as Ubuntu. I guess that's kind of obvious.

Joe J

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm not sure I've clicked the right button to post this, but here goes...

I've been with Linux (Ubuntu 20.04) exclusively for some time now, and I've succeeded in installing the Lister under Wine/PlayOnLinux. It seems to work well. I got Lister to copy DVR files to my computer's HDD, complete w/ show title, date and first part of the description, so it works well to that extent, at least.

So far, I've seen no evidence of the color coding in the list of recordings, but one can probably get by without it. Not sure how to set up a converter for Lister to use. I still don't know where to look for the equivalent of an .EXE file, or certain Windows folders. If I knew exactly where to find the ffmpeg executable, or HandBrake, that might just do the trick. In any case, I can always convert the videos after copying.

So anyway, in brief, the DVR+ Lister works under Linux -- does for me, anyway. Happy listing!

Joe J
I've never used the Linux version of Handbrake, but there is one available here. Also, there's a command-line version, called HandbrakeCLI. I've used both on Windows. The command-line version is quite nice. It sometimes takes a little practice getting the command-line options right, but once you do, it's sweet. You can set up a bunch of commands in one .bat (shell script on Linux) and walk away. If you need some help or examples, PM me.

·
Registered
1080i CRT TV, old Blu-ray, basic surround system
281 Posts
I've never used the Linux version of Handbrake, but there is one available here. Also, there's a command-line version, called HandbrakeCLI. I've used both on Windows. The command-line version is quite nice. It sometimes takes a little practice getting the command-line options right, but once you do, it's sweet. You can set up a bunch of commands in one .bat (shell script on Linux) and walk away. If you need some help or examples, PM me.
Thanks. Sorry, did I not make clear that I already have HandBrake for Linux installed? I just don't know where these things reside on my HDD and I rarely have the patience to go searching for them. I have to go edit my post...

Cheers!
Joe

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just don't know where these things reside on my HDD and I rarely have the patience to go searching for them.

Cheers!
Joe
Looking at the online instructions, it appears as though it should be in your PATH. Have you tried typing "HandBrakeCLI -h" at the command-line? If that gives you a screenful of command-line options, then it's in your PATH. In which case you can type "which HandBrakeCLI" at the command-line to see which directory it's installed in. "ghb" appears to be the command for the GUI version. From what I'm seeing in the online documentation, you should be able to type just "ghb" to get it to run.

EDIT: I just installed HandBrake and HandBrakeCLI on my VM VirtualBox. Both programs are in /usr/bin/. Which, by default, is/should be part of your PATH. It's in my PATH.

EDIT: Replace "Handbrake" with the proper "HandBrake".

581 - 599 of 599 Posts