AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently began putting my movies on my HDD to watch on my Xbox360 using the Media Center Extender function. I've converted my movies to the DVR-MS format so that I can fast forward/RR, etc. Vobs don't play, and MPGs dont fast forward.

I installed MyMovies only to discover that DVR-MS playback is choppy when using that app. I love the Movie covers & information displayed, is there anyway to improve the performance of DVR-MS playback or attach a "thumbnail" / Preview image to a DVR-MS file so I can see that instead of the generic TV icon?

·
Registered
115 Posts
What I do is tell My Movies to use Theater Tek as the player. I rip all my movies to a DIVX compressed avi file. While it is true that Windows Media Player cannot fast forward the AVI format Theater Tek CAN. It is not a limitation of the file format but a limitation of media player.

My suggestion would be to rip all your movies to DIVX (a two hour movie can be ripped to 1 gig while still retaining GREAT quality). Then tell My Movies to use Theater Tek as it's player.

TT MAY work on DVR-MS files, I have never tried it.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
you cant do that via the extender....

the only thing i have been able to get working is to rip my movies (which are all ts recorded hdtv movies) and then add them to the video library (in their own folder) and you can set a thumbnail there (but its a standard video thumbnail and not designed for dvd coverart so i ended up using a wallpaper from a movie). it works decently but not great.

and yes dvr-ms is the only format I have had success working with via the extender. I would expect to see the my movies application updated since it should be possible to get full fidelity with the extender (basically would invlolve doing something very similar to how mce recorded tv section works because if you add your movies folder to the recorded tv section it will go in and read the dvr-ms metadata and download covers and all the cast info like a movie would appear if you recorded it via live tv) so i would expect something similar to be done (granted this is vista media center and not mce05) but the possibility is there imo (especially since you can now write applications that are designed to work with the full fidelity of media center and teh extender). But if you add that folder in it adds your movies in with the rest of your tv shows and i didnt want that so i left them in the videos section for now (anticipating what will come down the road)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.